Electronic Drums Without Module Question

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I'm have Superior Drummer 2 and I'm wondering if there is a way to trigger the sounds without a module. I'd like to have a kit for the feel but could save a fair amount of cash if I don't need to buy a module as well.

Thanks,

ROK

Not as far as I know. I would love it if someone would just come out with a MIDI kick trigger pad, so I could use my foot when programming drums with a pad controller.

Come on Behringer, stop stealing stuff and give me something cheap/unique/useable! lol!

Not as far as I know. I would love it if someone would just come out with a MIDI kick trigger pad, so I could use my foot when programming drums with a pad controller.

Come on Behringer, stop stealing stuff and give me something cheap/unique/useable! lol!

I think Yamaha (or Roland) used to have a stand-alone electronic kick that would trigger. It can't be that hard to make something out of wood that you can attack a bass drum pedal to and stick a sensor on?

jimmy, you could just tap/stomp your foot on some hard surface and mic it. Use your favorite drum replacer to spit out MIDI notes based on that input. Drumagog or whatever...

Reaper comes with a drumtrigger plugin which I've never used for anything musical (but for noise...). All it needs is some percussive audio input. You can use a mic on a real drum, or a cardboard box, or whatever. Hell, you could use a guitar! You could also use the output from a commercial drum pad.

Frankly, the ITB approach gives you quite a bit more control since you can use whatever plugins necessary to get a good, clean triggering. Most "drum brains" (as if that weren't an oxymoron!) have some noise gate type features, but sometimes a bit of EQ or even maybe compression could help quite a bit.

jimmy, you could just tap/stomp your foot on some hard surface and mic it. Use your favorite drum replacer to spit out MIDI notes based on that input. Drumagog or whatever...

Reaper comes with a drumtrigger plugin which I've never used for anything musical (but for noise...). All it needs is some percussive audio input. You can use a mic on a real drum, or a cardboard box, or whatever. Hell, you could use a guitar! You could also use the output from a commercial drum pad.

Frankly, the ITB approach gives you quite a bit more control since you can use whatever plugins necessary to get a good, clean triggering. Most "drum brains" (as if that weren't an oxymoron!) have some noise gate type features, but sometimes a bit of EQ or even maybe compression could help quite a bit.

Ya know, that is a great friggen idea! Never thought of just using SSTrigger on a separate track for the kick. Hell, I have a Dean Markley acoustic pickup that would work great for that!

Thanks man!

Back