Electric guitar recording, help/advice ???

MenT-aL

Hey there! I'm wanting to record my songs onto my pc with the best quality yet inexpensive way possible! I was thinking of getting the SoundBlaster Audigy Pro and recording straight from my amp into that, is this wise??
Or is there a better way of getting my songs onto my PC in digital quality?!?

Otherwise whats the best soundcards to go for for my instance?

cheers

aL

You probably won't get great sounds that way. I've done that before, but it isn't good for distorted tones, plus that powerful output could hurt your soundcard.

If you want to go direct, you can always buy a direct box like the POD or the J-Station.

If you want to mic, check this thread out.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=27030

Or just search the forum archives. "How do you record a guitar?" gets asked around here an awful lot. :)

options:

a pod/j-station or similar amp modeling device (or) mic'ing the amp with a sm57 and art tube mp or similar setup....

as far as soundcard, the Delta Audiophile 2496 is what you are looking for.....

To POD or not to POD

Obviously lots of variations on the same theme here.

Many people believe there is just no better method then using a mic (like a shure sm57) and your existing amp. But, if inspiration hits at 4am, your neighbors will strongly disagree.

POD (or similar products) let you model several amps and speaker cabinets via your headphones. You can also use the POD with your amp - so, its not limited to "just" recording.

Some people feel the squawks and buzz you normally hear in your amp, are missing when you use a POD - Not true! Especially if you sit close to your computer monitor, which will cause LOTS of hmmm and buzz. (Using an LCD monitor stops this or you can get your guitar sheilded with copper foil for $$$$.)

POD Pro has a 24bit digital output but you don't really need that if you're just starting out. You'll do fine with the basic POD.

Sound cards are a whole different animal. You're better off learning all you can before buying anything.

The Midiman Audiophile or Delta series cards are good but be sure you understand some digital recording basics before you decide. Do you want to record at 24bit or 16 bit? Do you want to be able to add MIDI connectivity?

If you go with POD, you'll want MIDI for POD's tone transfers later.

The basic POD is $299(US Dollars) most places these days. A Soundblaster is about $199 but the Audiophile card is only about $150. How much are you ready to spend?

A mic and a direct box are probably about $100 less then POD but you can't use that set up if its after midnight or you happen to live by a train station - where they blow the whistle every time you try to record.

I have friends who do both - one prefers the Sounblaster, amp and mic, the other uses POD. Both make great recordings but the POD user has a much cleaner, more profesional sound. Both record at 16bit.

I use a POD and Midiman Delta 66/Omni sound card - I could bypass the POD altogether but I prefer the POD sound...

Good luck!

A Sound Blaster Live! Value costs $20. I wouldn't recommend any other sound card to a beginner. Better than any onboard sound, plus very good MIDI features (though not as good as the Audigy - the Audigy Value can be had for $60).

I just don't see what the point is in telling somebody that they need to start with a card that records at 24/96. They're only going to come back frustrated, wondering why this card that they spent so much on isn't giving them professional results.

Not only that, but these "prosumer" sound cards (the Audiophile is hardly the only one) bring other problems that a neophyte isn't going to be prepared to deal with. Driver issues, compatibility with XP/2000, what if the person also wants to play games on their computer?

If you buy a Sound Blaster, all you need to do is drop it into your computer, and it works. Then you can get to the more important business of learning how to record.

my info + needs

Cheers for the info guys, I really need it! I want a professional sound that is preferably in MP3 format as i am setting up a website and they woud need to be MP3 format for me to upload them. This is the real problem!

I want a great sound, thats not going to break the £250 mark!
I also want to be able to use different effetcs, similar to those of the Zoom 40-40 or alike. Would i beable to do this through the soundcard and with the right software?
If not what other options do i have?

cheers for every little info i get, i really need it!
aL

The soundcard will get the audio into the PC.Most recording software supports plugins,either Direct X or VST,which includes all the digital effects like chorus, delay,reverb etc.Then you convert the resulting .wav file to mp3 format.I use the lame codec although fraunhoffer is also popular.
To sum up;the sound card converts your analog audio to digital format and injects it into the PC.The recording software put it into a .wav file and allows you to process it via plugins.Then the mp3 software converts the .wav file to .mp3.I would also suggest an FTP program like WSFTP to transfer the .mp3 file from your computer to the web site.
Good luck!

Tom

POD ?

Cheers for that Tom, i didn't realise the POD hooked up to your PC, DoH! so i think i may go with that option!

What recommended soundcard, cheap soundcard would you all suggest for use with a POD, and which POD model, the line6 ??

aL

MenT-aL,

Line 6 is the company that makes the POD. There are basically four models if I'm not mistaken -- the POD and POD Pro, and the Bass POD and Bass POD Pro. The POD Pro has better i/o and is rack-mountable, but the engine is the same -- and it's also significantly more expensive.

LMAO!!!

JEESUS!!! i am sooo stupid, no wonder they call me homer in the office!

LoL and tehres me searching the oline shops for a POD line6, LMAO!

cheers anyways, i think i'll go for the cheaper one :D

aL

okay... this may sound like spam, and believe me I don't want it to. If you'll allow me to give a little background, i'll explain, and then you can flame me to hell and back if you want. (but please dont!!! :( )

Normally I live in the UK (at the moment I'm abroad with work). In the UK, I have a small studio etc (yes, i even have a website!). I decided I'd had enough of paying full retails prices, so I decided to set up my own small 'mail-order' firm. (in other words just for me - hehehhe). So, I have UK trade accounts with quite a few of the big boys. Lexicon, Midiman, Arbiter - but not line6 - sorry.

Anyway, MenT-Al - you know as well as I do, that shop owners are a bunch of swines, adding a big markup on what should be cheap anyway, and then, if you try to order from the US, they say that they aren't allowed to ship outside the US, otherwise, they lose their accounts.

This is a favour I am genuinly extending to any other UK based project studio builders. I know what it's like. I've just finished being a student!

I know what happened to sjoko and his favours he offered through this board, and the mess that happened, that was very unfortunate. I would like to avoid that, but still try to help others.

God, i'm dreading the flames now. :( - calm down guys, i'm a good guy too.

Rochey

Flames?
The only people i got flames with is the gutiar shop near me, they want me to pay an extortionate £400 for the POD2, you can guess where i told them to go :)
But no, thanks for the reply post, where abouts in uk, and whats your studio like, i'm intreagued :D
aL

On our last CD, we used PODS on all guitars and basses (not the bass pod...the guitar pod!), as well as on some vocals..
mind you, this was my first time at recording on a computer, but I think it turned out pretty good....Now, it's been a year since then...we've bought an Echo Layla card, some good mics, upgraded the studio, etc....and I'm still using the POD!
My only complaint at first was not getting feedback, but after sticking the guitar up on the computer speakers, you can get that too, and it sounds pretty dern close to a big 4x12!!!!!!!!

my studio is non-existant at the moment.

Although the equipment is there. I am 800 miles away in Germany. It's killing me. Next week, I go home for christmas, once there I will tinker in my studio,

I have a website, but it's very small at the moment, over christmas I will take some pictures etc. We'll see.

Like i said, if you need any help, drop me an email.

Rochey

Back