Effects processing

Well, I purchased the MOTU 2408mkII. 24 in and out. The thing works great so far, just an adat sync issue with n-track remains to be solved. I can move all 16 channels from my adat's and use the 8 analog group outs from my 24-channel tascam analog mixer. Its a cabling nightmare, but I have the best of both worlds.....Thanks to all in this BBS who helped with my questions.

I am anticipating using my current adat/mixer system for the original dry tracks. I think its easier to punch in & out and to tweak using real faders and provide an "effects" send to the cue performer while I am recording the dry signal.

When I begin the mixdown process, I can transfer the adat tracks to the PC.

I would like to use my outboard effects during the PC mixdown. Has anyone patched out of the PC, through a 24-bit soundcard, through an outboard effect, and then back into the PC? How are the effects processed, to a separate track? Are there latency issues to deal with? What about noise? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Ive never done it on a 24-bit card.

but whith a 20-bit card, I didn't like it. going back and forth between A and D gives my a REAL bad flavor in my ear.... What effects do you need that bad? If they had digital ins and outs... then thisgs would be rosy, but they must not.

If I could do it all again, Id set up the effects and get an effected track from the get go...

Or run thru your converters and get a fully WET track, and blend it with your original dry track, thus lessening the effect of the conversions....

xoxo

I've also tried this with a 20 bit card and don't like it. There are definitely latency/phasing problems. You'll tend to see this with even the best gear, including some pro gear. I don't recommend adding effects other than some dynamic processing while tracking. recorded effects on each individual track has a tendency to make the overall mix sound mushy and parts lose definition when you go to mix down, depending on the number of tracks. best to look into outboard gear with digital i/o if your sound card has the capability. Or Better yet, plug-ins, there are some really good ones out there that are fairly inexpensive.

So what I'm hearing now is to not use my outboard effects gear and purchase new digital outboards or plug-ins, which put a strain on the cpu.

Seems to me this computer recording stuff like effects, sync between systems, and distort-less recording with many tracks, has a ways to go before it gets to the level of digital tape, real mixer systems, and even quality.

The only benefits I see to PC recording are mixing to stereo, editing waves and burning CD's. Too many standard-less options available.

Seems like I have spent more time researching, spending money, testing, and setting up, than I have been at being musically creative.

Does anyone else find this to be true?

Mike

Mike - why not send to your effect unit as you said and then record the WET return only (no original signal) to another track and mix the effect track with your original.

cheers
John

Back