Editing Program*

applesmasher

Does pro tools LE have the abilty to turn off certain tracks or channels or wahtever in the stereo so that you can do things like remove vocals or drums? And if not are there any programs that do? Thanks alot I appreciate it!

willovercome, I think he snuck one past you. His question said, "Does pro tools LE have the abilty to turn off certain tracks or channels or wahtever in the stereo (italics mine) so that you can do things like remove vocals or drums?"

I think applesmasher's talking about taking an existing stereo file, already mixed, and removing the vocals from it.

If that is the real question, the answer is basically no. Under certain conditions you can remove much of the vocals, depending how they have been mixedr and how dry they are, and how alone they are in their frequency space. But almost all instrumnets will have some frequencies where the vocal area, so if you cut those frequencies, you also negatively alter the sound of the remaining instruments.

oh yeah, i just assumed this question was as dumb as most of his others. wait...now that i think about it - it is. yeah this can't be done without some sort of sound quality compromise.

^Asshole!

But thanks from the other guy for a real answer. Its not a dumb question. Itd be dumb if I went out and bought all this stuff before I knew waht it could do;)

what that hes an asshole or im an asshole? Screw it were all assholes and your an asshole too for getting in on the asshole calling. Now can we get back to the point of my thread please?! Ive heard people say that you can remove vocals or drums if theyre mixed seperatly. But i dont kno what thats called. Let me guess, that called being an asshole right?

If the drums and vocals are on their own tracks in a multitrack master, sure, all you have to do is mute the tracks.

But once they've been mixed to stereo, fuggedaboutit...

hmm but doesnt stereo mean that it sends certain signals to different sources, i.e: speakers, to get the surround effect. And arnt those signals still seperate on the mix somehow? Do most mixes keep the vocals tracks and guitars/drums seperate, Or they just throw it all togather?

Well. If you listen to music on a stereo it is coming out of two speakers. That means there are two seperate signals. Drums, vocals, guitars, bass etc add up to much more than 2 seperate signals so they have to merge it all together so you can play it on your stereo.

A true surround recorded DVD could have stuff seperated on different channels but they probably wouldn't put one instrument on each.

Yah duh that makes sense with the 2 speakers, so the only way to remove a certain sound with Pro tools is to mute that frequency or something?

you don't you damn fools. Any given instrument's sound is made up of so many different frequencies that sucking out any one freq. or group of freq.s or whatever is going to affect EVERY INSTRUMENT IN THE MIX. ONCE IT IS IN STEREO THEY HAVE BEEN MIXED!!!

O.K. I lied there is a way. But I'm not telling you how to do it until you tell me how to get the flour out of the cake I just baked.

mbuster said:
But I'm not telling you how to do it until you tell me how to get the flour out of the cake I just baked.
This is hilarious.

Bottom line: you can never get all of a vocal, or bass, or drums, etc, out of a song, and to get close, you have to completely wreck the song. End thread now.

If I knew more about this I might argue with, since I HAVE heard people say you can do it on some mixes and they sell machines for it. But since I dont even know what a frequency is, Ill shut up now.:)

mbuster said:
......O.K. I lied there is a way. But I'm not telling you how to do it until you tell me how to get the flour out of the cake I just baked.

That was a very funny one, mbuster, but it also was very good example.

Once the seperate pieces of the song are mixed down into a WHOLE part, there isn't any way you will be able to FULLY retrieve and/or seperate those "said" parts.

spin

Back