E-Mu 1616M

mmm... I own an 1820m, I'm wondering if it'd work with the Cardbus adapter? (works with the same EDI cable). It would be very good news if it did, then the need to get me an RME Fireface is pretty much over : )

Yeah, I'm reading through that now.. I guess that really would have been too much to ask. Too bad, really.

Too expensive, and if you can't go back and forth between PCI and Cardbus, that's lame.

I'd take an Echo Indigo I/O over it any day.

John Doh, I guess you would have heard the negative reviews of the emu 1820(m)...that it's just an audigy...that the drivers are no good...

What have you got to say to the knockers?

Monkey Allen said:
John Doh, I guess you would have heard the negative reviews of the emu 1820(m)...that it's just an audigy...that the drivers are no good...

Please back up the statement "that it's just an audigy". I have NEVER heard anyone state that. I have had both and can guarantee you that that is NOT the case. Please stop spreading that crap.

Objectively great hardware. Works well...when it work. Drivers are achilles heel. Some glaring feature omissions (WDM and GSIF, notably) but if you don't need it, it can very well be the perfect card for mid-range sound card need. E-mu's slow with the drivers, though, and that's a perfectly valid reason to move up to guys like RME or sidestep to Echo 3G series with comparable features.

Sklathill said:
Objectively great hardware. Works well...when it work. Drivers are achilles heel. Some glaring feature omissions (WDM and GSIF, notably) but if you don't need it, it can very well be the perfect card for mid-range sound card need. E-mu's slow with the drivers, though, and that's a perfectly valid reason to move up to guys like RME or sidestep to Echo 3G series with comparable features.

Again, guys, please stop spreading misinformation.

The emu drivers support WDM.

Not sure about gsif, but I have certainly used it with wdm.

To be honest; I haven't heard many bad reviews on the 1820m in general, there are some driver issues (I stress I've never had any problem), but other than that it seemed praised in most reviews...
Indeed the "just an Audigy" quote is pretty random, since it's a completely different device, a friend owns one, and I can assure you it is : )
The preamps sound good, I use them to record guitar both acoustically (with a condenser mic), as well as plugging an electric straight in. Works fine. I payed the extra few bucks for the higher quality converters, since I figured buying something that I'll use for a long period might as well be the best I can afford now.
Depending on what software you're planning to use, the drivers probably won't be a concern. I use Cubase SX, and this combo never hesitated to work. As for sound quality; I can only back up the results you see in most reviews. I'm very happy.

Monkey Allen said:

Last edited:
By not working with WDM I meant multichannel WDM. Why buy an 18 input sound card when you can only use 2 of those channels in Adobe Audition?

And E-mu will never put GSIF into the drivers...partly because there's less need for it with gigastudio 3 supporting rewire and partly because E-mu has their own softsampler they want to push.

Sklathill said:
By not working with WDM I meant multichannel WDM. Why buy an 18 input sound card when you can only use 2 of those channels in Adobe Audition?

And E-mu will never put GSIF into the drivers...partly because there's less need for it with gigastudio 3 supporting rewire and partly because E-mu has their own softsampler they want to push.

That's a different thing then, yes, it's true, no multichannel wdm yet. I hear it's coming though.

Does anyone actually have one of these yet? I saw they were backordered at a few places I checked. I want to get a new laptop and create a mobile recording platform. This looks like a great setup. Would like to hear from anyone using this. thanks

Back