Dual boot for legacy music software ?

wuzzo

668- the neighbour of the beast
Hello-
I've got some old music software - eJay in particular- that I used to run on Win2K Pro but can't run on my Windows 7 rig.
How can I set up a dual boot with Win2K Pro on an external USB3 drive ? I have the retail discs for both OS.

Hey,
What version of ejay are you running? There may be an alternative.
Failing that, there's no reason you can't install the two versions of windows on their respective hard drives, then use the bios boot selector to choose which gets loaded.
You might even find that windows bootloader prompts you to choose, which is even easier. I don't use windows these days but I've been aware of that happening in the past.

Hello-
I've got some old music software - eJay in particular- that I used to run on Win2K Pro but can't run on my Windows 7 rig.
How can I set up a dual boot with Win2K Pro on an external USB3 drive ? I have the retail discs for both OS.

Are you sure Windows 2000 will run on your computer?

I'm not sure how easy it is to install Windows 2000 to a USB drive/device. Maybe there's a tutorial online?

Hey,
What version of ejay are you running? There may be an alternative.
Failing that, there's no reason you can't install the two versions of windows on their respective hard drives, then use the bios boot selector to choose which gets loaded.
You might even find that windows bootloader prompts you to choose, which is even easier. I don't use windows these days but I've been aware of that happening in the past.

Hello there-
It's Dance eJay 2- Techno Edition. It's an early one from back when you could manipulate the samples in a manner of ways. The newer ones were never as good. I ran that ol' eJay from Win98 Second Edition right through to XP. Now I want to use it as a tool to get non-musicians interested in digital music. I've still got a Win98SE , a Win2K pro and an XP rig- but the folks I want to teach have all got Windows 7 - and it won't run on that. I'm hoping that I can set up dual boots for them.

OK, I'll add Win2K Pro on an external drive and see what Windows 7 makes of it. Thanks.

Before you go, have you tried compatibility mode on Win 7?
I know it seems obvious but I'm just throwing it out there.

Beyond that, a virtual machine may be an option, although I don't know how reliable audio interface access is in virtual machines.
Still...worth investigating. It sounds like you're setting up a lot of rigs so that might save a lot of hard drives?

I've had limited success in the past bundling up very simple applications into a standalone wine app. That was very old windows apps on OSX but I imagine the same is possible on modern windows.

I still administer a game server through a wine-bottled RCON app because there's still no MacOS version available. :)

as far as im aware (this was defo true bout 4 years ago) you cannot run windows from a usb device without doing some serious hacking/editing ... so external drive is out

have you tried installing the old software in a virtual machine? or even win7`s XP mode (google it)

imo its much easier to install the new operating system to a 2nd hard disk within the computer .. before doing anything,clone the win7 using something like active boot disk

"Ability to backup and restore data (Disk Image)" Active@ Boot Disk - LSoft Technologies

reason for this is it takes minutes to copy this clone back to your pc if needed (i clone all my operating systems)

this is how i would do it

1) make sure i have all drivers for that operating system .. and they are easy to get at (usb storage dongle/drive)

2) remove the main HD that contains the win7 operating system

3) install the "new" operating system to the 2nd HD

once the new operating system is running well (all the drivers are on and hardware works)

4) plug the 2nd HD back in,boot off it and add the new operating system to the bootmenu of this drive

i use an old copy of "easy BCD" to add operating systems EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Typically Win7 can successfully host W2000 programs, but I would prefer XP. And it seems to be best to keep an old PC from someting around 2011 to run XP effectively. This way it does not occupy the new PC but works in cooperation.

I was going to say, just use older software on an older machine, that's what I subscribe to. But I read that you wish to set up dual boots for multiple people to get them interested by teaching them stuff.

I'd say, since they are all working with Windows 7, personally I'd teach them with something that DOES run and work well Windows 7...either by a compatibility mode, or choose a different software. Because, WHO knows if using an older Windows version will actually even run on everyone's ELSES computer...then you have potential dual boot issues, it sounds like a potential nightmare to me.

Back