Drum signal hot!

affleckp

I am recording through a Motu 898HD to Cubase SX. The problem I am having is the drums, speciifcally the snare and sometimes the toms are clipping even with the gain knob at 0. This is especially the case when a snare rimshot is played. The Motu which is new to me and has what I consider a very poor manual has a 3 way switchfor each analog marked for line/+4/mic. When I select line (is this a -10 pad?) I am able to control the gain at or below 0db. Is this the correct way to solve this problem or should I be compressing the signal in Cubase even if it's clipping on the Motu meters? Any help would be appreciated I have done some limited recording experience and am starting to get more involved with this with my sons band.

affleckp said:
the snare and sometimes the toms are clipping even with the gain knob at 0. .

Turn the gain down until it is not clipping

affleckp said:
3 way switch for each analog marked for line/+4/mic. When I select line (is this a -10 pad?) .

Keep it at +4

affleckp said:
should I be compressing the signal in Cubase even if it's clipping on the Motu meters? .

Dont let it clip comming into the Motu at all turn the pre's down until you dont get a clipping signal! Hope that helps.... ;)

Carter said:
Turn the gain down until it is not clipping

Keep it at +4

Dont let it clip comming into the Motu at all turn the pre's down until you dont get a clipping signal! Hope that helps.... ;)

Problem is the gain is already turned all the way down. Would not the +4 add gain. It says something in the manual that the +4 switch postion disables the front panel gain switches. The mics I am using are Snare-Audix I5 and Toms- Audix F10.

affleckp said:
Problem is the gain is already turned all the way down. Would not the +4 add gain. It says something in the manual that the +4 switch postion disables the front panel gain switches. The mics I am using are Snare-Audix I5 and Toms- Audix F10.

Ok I read the manual a little and you are right about the +4, you are boing to have to mess around with mic placement to solve your problem, How does the recorded drums sound like in Cubase? does it sound like its clipping even though the meters arent?

Sounds like it is clipping and quite badly at times. I have tried moving the mics as far away as possable although I am using mic clips which limit the distance I can move them away. Just cant figure out why the signal is so hot.

Actually mic'd drum levels ARE pretty hot -- you often have to pad them before they hit the mic preamp (either with -10 pad on the mic itself, which reduces the level for the mic's internal circuitry), or by putting an inline pad before the pre if your mic doesn't have one on-board.

Back