Dragon, you were refered as master of knowledge

SINTZ

I posted a soundcard 24/96 thread on this bb. I need to make a decision by tommorow and would like your infinite wisdom on which card to buy in my range and if its really worth it.

Thanks
TC

ok

so i see your arent exactly the patient type. your point has many answers. the cards you mentioned are all decent, 24 bit is better then 16, go for bits over extended frequency first. but how many inputs do you want. the ones you were talking about had 4. the 424 has the A/D converters inside the computer this introduces noice into the card since its closer to a lot of processes. The 296 obvious has the 96Khz capability. and if i remember a break out box so the converters. Ten you have the Echo cards which are all break outs so that is a good start, anywhere from 2 to 8 inputs. i mean the list goes on to more expensive(and better) A/D converters. go make spreadsheet. list price, inputs, bits, Frequency, MIDI, Wordclock, SMPTE, balanced, unbalanced, and watever you would like to consider, ability for digital in and outs. etc you probably will have a lot better ideas then.

Good points!

Right now the 4x4 will do. That will give me two stereo in and two out. I record one track at a time through a Fostex 16 chan mixer. In the future I may get a more expensive 16x16 but for now it would be overkill. I guess I'm really looking for a card with exceptional AD/DA converters with 24/96. Do you have a url to Echo so I can look at the specs on those cards also?

Thanks for your response. Every little bit is helpfull. Information is knowledge, knowledge is power. :D

TC

Have you no mercy?

Do you have any idea how many hits ou get off of Echo and sound card? Your drinking arn't you? Yea, your partying, I can see it in the way your dot on your I's slur.

I'm not sure what the actual question is because this thread seems to have gotten deleted, and I don't know why you must order the thing tomorrow (which is Sunday anyway, at least here). As someone else said in another thread, I'm not sure why you're unsatisfied with 16-bit digital right now, but it's very possible that your problem is not with the card itself but some other part of the recording process. Still, all other things being equal, 24 bits will at the very least give you more headroom and this is always a Good Thing. So if you have the money and know you are getting a stable, well-supported card...it shouldn't hoit.

I taught Dragon everything he knows. Like how to check a tape deck recording head by draging your fingernail across it. That's where he got his name from. Dragon...Dragin', same thing.

Tough Decision

Ok, Im teetering on the two cards. I can buy the Midiman Delta 44 or 66 here in Dallas and would have to mail order the gadgetlabs 496 as I can't find a distributor local, although it looks like an excellent card. Ive talked with several people using both and they are very satisfied with them. As far as why I need one today, I am almost in production with a third part in a 4 part series and about to start laying down tracks next week. I'm guessing it will take a couple of days to set everything up but I need to stay on schedule. If I wait, I do it on my current card. Well, Guitar Center doesn't open until 12 central so I have some thinking time. I could go to the other side of Dallas to Mars Music to see what they have.

Thanks for all the help.
TC

Back