To double track or not to double track

Ex3vious

Hey guys, I've started to record more acoustic guitars (I usually just record electric). when recording electric guitars I almost always double track. I just made a little demo of an acoustic recording, first part is double tracked second part is not. I would like some feedback on which approach sounds better for acoustics. Thanks
https://soundcloud.com/ben-2014/religion-demo-1

If that's all the instrumentation you are going to do, then double track fills out nicely. If you're going to add more instruments, then I'd go with single track.

If you have the necessary mics, try mid-side recording. You get a nice full sound with one track.

I only have one mic, I was going to add bass, and maybe a hint of strings, I'm leaning towards double tracking.

That sounds good. Nice recording of the acoustic guitar and performance sounds tight. Lay a vocal on top and there's your song. If you start adding parts it's going to get crowded like Chili said.

I've tried mid-side tracking on acoustic guitar. It sounds nice. All you need is another mic that has a figure 8 polar pattern.

I always double the parts. If the mix gets too crowded, you can always turn one off.

Btw, I have never had a mix so crowded that I could get an acoustic guitar to fit.

Depending on what a song needs, as opposed to automatically double tracking the same parts - which may indeed be what a song needs - with guitars in general, I always consider having the parts play off of each other, and leaving room for each part, as well as room for other instrumentation.

In my current song project, I have acoustic guitars playing 'simplified' rhythms. In one section, the left channel playing mostly simple slow one strums, while the right channel is playing up & down strums. In other sections, I may do flat picking, and the left & right guitar tracks work off one another.

In the same song, I have electric guitars that are double tracked. At some sections doing the same things, which inconsistencies can be favorable, as well as they reinforce each other. At another section I'm playing counter rhythms off of each other in the left & right field. One has to really be careful not to make a big mess of things...with the guitar parts themselves, and also to not hog the entire arrangement up. Simple creative experimentation and careful considerations is needed during the process.

Even slight variations of the same parts can really make a difference, but creatively working simple parts off of each other really can open things up, while not necessarily dominating an arrangement.

Back