Does this piece of hardware exist????

thomas2smith

I am trying to find out if there is a device that I can use with logic pro x that just allows me to have hardware button for play, stop, record, fast forward, etc. without having to purchase a whole controller console. Does anyone know if this device exists? I would like it to be something that connects via usb but firewire could work too. I have included a picture of what it would look like.

Attachments

• tape machine buttons.jpg
    tape machine buttons.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Hi,
I can't think of anything that's just transport. The smallest I can think of would be the single fader jobs like Presonus Faderport, for example.

I'm pretty sure there are software solutions if you have an ipad or a smartphone.
That might be worth a google.

Does anyone know if this device exists?

I hate to state the obvious...yes...your computer keyboard.
Most DAW transport functions are pre-mapped to your computer keyboard...and many DAWs allow you to change/assign them to other keys to fit your preference.
I mean...you already have the buttons right there...why would you want another set of buttons? :)

I don't think I've ever clicked on the actual software transport in the DAW...it's always a keyboard shortcut....or I can even program some of that to my Logitech trackball.

If you can find one the Frontiers Transport wireless control might work (don't think the DAW matters? It is the MIDI control type that is important. The Tranzport works on Mackie control variant and a few others) .

Or, get a $20 wireless keyboard and Dymo label the appropriate buttons. I have a Microsoft wireless kbd,very compact and has a trackpad built in. It also has << > >> buttons plus volume up/down and I bet these could be assigned in the DAW?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Media-Keyboard-Integrated-Track/dp/B00K2SY902

Dave.

I use the ShuttleXpress to scrub through audio. I have programmable profiles for Reaper to stop, start, record, ffwd, rewind, split track, etc., and the scrub wheel has fast and slow scrubbing.
ShuttleXpress - Contour Design

It shows Logic X on the compatability list.
Dale

For most DAWs, those can be set up to respond to MIDI Notes, so anything that sends such things (including a MIDI keyboard) should be able to do it.

Not all functions work with Reaper 100%, but the main ones I wanted work well.
Like what?

For most DAWs, those can be set up to respond to MIDI Notes, so anything that sends such things (including a MIDI keyboard) should be able to do it.

Like what?
If I recall correctly it was the marker set buttons not functioning as I was thought they should. It could have been something in the setup I was missing, but not having the markers wasn't a big deal.
The transport controls worked, as well as solo, mute, and record track arming. Physical faders is much easier than the mouse for me.

If I recall correctly it was the marker set buttons not functioning as I was thought they should. It could have been something in the setup I was missing, but not having the markers wasn't a big deal.
The transport controls worked, as well as solo, mute, and record track arming. Physical faders is much easier than the mouse for me.
Hmmm... I'm sure there's a way to get it to work, but I'm sure it's beyond the scope of this thread. If it was a big enough deal, the Reaper forum itself is full of folks who'd be happy to help.

I usually prefer the precision of drawing in the envelopes if I need automation, and am just used to mousing, but I probably should reach for the Nano more often. Funnily, even when I am using it for fader rides, I tend to reach for the spacebar and other qwerty functions for transport control.

Hmmm... I'm sure there's a way to get it to work, but I'm sure it's beyond the scope of this thread. If it was a big enough deal, the Reaper forum itself is full of folks who'd be happy to help.

I usually prefer the precision of drawing in the envelopes if I need automation, and am just used to mousing, but I probably should reach for the Nano more often. Funnily, even when I am using it for fader rides, I tend to reach for the spacebar and other qwerty functions for transport control.
As it was I used a writeup from the Cockos Reaper forum to get it setup as it wasn't a straight forward plugn'play.... Korg Nano Kontrol 2 Perfect Compatibility Guide (no keymaps required!) - Cockos Confederated Forums

As it was I used a writeup from the Cockos Reaper forum to get it setup as it wasn't a straight forward plugn'play.... Korg Nano Kontrol 2 Perfect Compatibility Guide (no keymaps required!) - Cockos Confederated Forums
Veering way off topic here, but I followed that same procedure and ended up with some strange results. I may well have made a mistake somewhere in the process, but I had things where (for example) one of the pan knobs would scrub the audio, some other things were wonky. I finally got sick of that and went through the Action List manually to sort it out.

That's probably the trick for your Marker issue, too BTW. Go in the Actions List, find the appropriate actions and Learn them to those buttons.

I am trying to find out if there is a device that I can use with logic pro x that just allows me to have hardware button for play, stop, record, fast forward, etc. without having to purchase a whole controller console. Does anyone know if this device exists? I would like it to be something that connects via usb but firewire could work too. I have included a picture of what it would look like.

Don't forget, you can get an app for your smartphone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-remote/id638394624?mt=8

Back