Does my laptop need Line-In?

Mullertime

To get a clean single-track recording from an Electric Piano output to a laptop... does the laptop need a 'Line-In' to record properly?

The reason I ask: I've currently been able to directly link the headphone output (1/4'' jack) of a Yahama Arius (no line-outs are available) to the Line-In (1/8'' blue jack) of Desktop PC's, creating a near-perfect replication of the sound I get through the headphones when playing. What I notice is that the best sound is from 'Line In' - If I connect it to 'Mic in' (which I understand is a huge no-no), the quality is abysmal.

Where my laptop lacks audio-in ports: I've tried a few 1/8'' jack-to-USB audio adaptors, but any recordings were dull and echoey (like the piano was at the end of a long tunnel). I noticed that they were treated as 'Microphone' instead of 'Line In' (in terms of Windows Audio Devices); and on testing these interfaces on the desktops, they had the same echoed effect. My guess is that the basic models only have 'Mic In' and 'Line Out' jacks - so do not handle 'Line In' (I couldn't find any that specifically had a Line-in jack)... but I'm not sure whether this is actually a problem or not.

Is my rudimentary understanding correct that I need something that will create a 'Line In' audio channel - or is 'Microphone' fine and it likely more down to low-quality sound cards on the adaptors I've tried?

If it needs Line In, am I correct in assuming that USB-based interfaces with L/R Audio RCA inputs will be treated as 'Line In' (i.e. the blue 1/8'' jack is purely a simplified mono-version of the RCA port - so is rarely used on interfaces)?

Hi,
You can probably get away with using the mic-in as long as you're aware that it expects a much weaker signal and, therefore, the output of the keyboard will need to be attenuated quite a lot.
If that's not an option on your keyboard, it's probably better to look for another way.

There are many simple USB interfaces that will give you all sorts of ins and outs.
A simple L+R line input jobby from behringer or whomever would do the job.

Most of the super cheap adapters, like you mention, are going to be microphone-in because I guess that's what the average user wants for game/voice chat etc.

If you have an interest in pursuing home recording with other instruments and microphones, I'd aim a little higher now and get something to cover more bases.
Hope that's useful. :)

There is usually a mic line option with in the software for the inbuilt sound card.

I too would suggest a Behringer cheap sound card UCA202 if you just want a simple stereo record setup. I own several of these (one in each laptop case and with the PA system) that have got me out of trouble over the years when someone with a crap noisy sound card wants to plug into the PA system, or wants a last minute band recording of the gig.

Alan.

A big +1 to Witzendoz's post. I also have a couple of UCA202 USB interfaces which I use for similar purposes, They just sit there and work and are at a price that doesn't break even my very small bank.

The only problem with Alan's post is that he's just reminded me that I loaned one to a theatre where I work sometimes to get them out of a crisis and, when they dropped it off, I wasn't home, so my wife just took the interface and cables and dumped them into what I call her "junk box". I really must go rummaging through all the wool, knitting needles, crochet hooks etc. and find my stuff.

Another + for the UCA 202 from me. I had one, son begged it of me to lend a mate so dad had to buy another (no, shall never see that one again. Musicians y'know!) .
A very handy device. Couple of trip ups? 16 bits only so ultimate noise not so good (but WAY better than vinyl or tape!) . The inputs can be overloaded fairly easily so keep to -10dBFS, -6 tops. They can be a bit of a bother to get levels set right in Windows (never tried one on a mac).

There was a guy on the web who compared the D/A function to something vastly more expensive (can't recall what) and the wee Berry did very well. The technical results were pretty good as well.

Dave.

Ah, you are all legends! Thank you so much for the guidance - that's making much more sense now.

I had indeed stumbled upon the UCA202. Where the previous laptop experiments didn't work though, I wanted to rule out blatant stupidity on my part before shelling out for pricier kit.

To double-check, this is the one isn't it?

Behringer UCA202 U-Control Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Most of the super cheap adapters, like you mention, are going to be microphone-in because I guess that's what the average user wants for game/voice chat etc.
Very good point! Hadn't thought of that. The echoed / "room" effect could even have been a modifier that the adaptor itself applied - good for talking on a game (and excluding background noise) but sucks for music recording.

It was my freaking laptop!

I snagged the Behringer (Amazon Prime win) - and found the same echoed sound on the recording, thinking "again?? what the heck is up with that!?" - I had one of the correct recordings to hand, so played it as a comparison...

... Same sound. Turns out it was some kind of effect my laptop was applying -____- annoyingly, it does it to inputs to.

The good news though: The Behringer has made a stellar substitute to the Line-In connections on the other machines (particularly in reducing clipping) - So am up and away with that. Thank you all for the recommendation!

What are you using for recording software (called a 'Digital Audio Workstation') ?
For basic work and to get you started try Audacity (and download from the 'ninite' site. V safe) Audacity can also send a delayed signal back, creating an echo but it can be defeated (as indeed it can in all DAWs AFAIK).

If you want to progress to a 'proper' DAW* Reaper is nowt to try and cheap to buy but you might like to investigate MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Silver? Only 8 tracks at a time but free forever.

*N.B....NOTHING wrong with Audacity! It is a superb and very well endowed Audio Editor, just not THE best thing for home recording is all.

Dave.

The good news though: The Behringer has made a stellar substitute to the Line-In connections on the other machines (particularly in reducing clipping) - So am up and away with that. Thank you all for the recommendation!

Just to be clear, are recordings through the Behringer fine or are you still having the issue?

Click the "control panel - system properties - hardware - Device Manager" command to see the "sound, video, and game controller tabs" in the device manager window. Is there yellow?" Options;
What if there is yellow?" This indicates that the sound card driver is not installed and that the sound card driver is reinstalled. (Audio, or Sound) is often used in the sound card device options.
What if there is no yellow?" For the options, then look at the sound, video, and game controller tabs under yellow"!" Options. If there is yellow"!" Can be the sound card driver does not match, or the sound card aging caused by. Then delete the tape"!" Option to reinstall the sound card driver.
sound card settings check
Click control panel - sounds and audio devices "command, open the" properties "sounds and audio devices dialog box, and then click the dialog box in the audio tab, you can see the" recording (a microphone sign) "(click the volume button can also open the" voice "tab, click the volume button), see the pop-up" recording control "in the volume is the largest, while the check is not checked mute.

Back