Does this device exist?

Nate74

HR4FREBR
I have a newly acquired Steinberg UR824 and it covers my needs 95% of the time. But on occasion I long for 4 more inputs for tracking full bands. I know I could add a second 824 or MOTU 8Pre and use the ADAT connectivity to add 8 more inputs no problem, but I have some pretty nice stand along preamps that I wouldn't mind using so all I really need is 4 channels of TRS inputs that kicks out those 4 channels via ADAT. Most of the little boxes I'm finding have built in preamps on 2 channels of 4, which I don't really need.

So does a 4-channel, TRS analog input, ADAT out exist or am I dreaming?

I don't know about 4 channel but 8 channel units certainly exist.
I think they're more common because adat can carry 8 channels at up to 48k.
Look at something like the behringer ada8000. It does have preamps but they don't get great rep and you don't have to use them. :)

OK, Thanks! I can live with 8 obviously. I wonder about the AD converters on a Behringer unit, but there seem to be a lot of Firewire devices out there that do what I want (where I could bypass the preamps if needed) with ADAT outputs. With Firewire slowly fading away, they seem pretty well priced too :)

Read up on the Behringer. The preamps don't get great rep as you'd expect, but they're actually pretty well liked as converters.
They also have the advantage of working both ways, so if you ever wanted to do some analog summing it might come in handy. ;)

With any firewire/usb/thunderbolt interfaces, make sure they have a mode for standalone operation. Many won't.

That's awesome. Thanks! I guess I also have to make sure it has lite pipe ADAT functionality as I'm noticing there are now RCA connectors on the back of the 824...

Just had a buddy recommend the Presonus Digimax LT. He actually has one that he's going to let me borrow. 8 preamps that I really don't need and it appears they can't be bypassed, but from what I'm reading, they have a solid reputation for their conversation and the preamps aren't that bad. We'll see if it plays nice with the 824. If not, I'll check out the Behringer.

Another option is to pick up a used 828/828mk2.
They have 8 line inputs on the back and can be used in standalone mode passing A to D.

I use an 828 as my main interface and a separate rack of 8 preamp modules in front of it.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a cheap one because they're shit. lol.
They have common faults where the panel LED blows and the gain pots on mic inputs 1+2 go scratchy.
They're not a simple replacement as they're more complex than a standard gain pot.

None of these things would affect your use, however.

If your goal is to use your stand alone preamps, I wouldn't settle for something with un-bypassable preamps.
That said, I think I may have just contradicted myself, looking back at the ada8000.

The Behringer unit has been revamped and is now iirc, the A 8200. Gone is the feeble AC power supply for a universal SMPSU.

The pre amps have been improved as have the converters. All is told an an SoS review that I shall seek out soon.
AFAIK the line inputs are just the mic amps padded down but this is a very common practice on many mixers and AIs, some very top names to boot. The Berry pre amps, fed from "better" pre amps are going to be working at minimum gain and thus the failings of noise and distortion will also be at a minimum and, dare I say it? Inaudible.

I have in the past found a schematic for the older unit and it did not seem to me a big task to bypass thepre amps were you of the solder iron wielding bent? A more serious DIYer could move the power supply of an old 8k unit to a better ventilated out board tin.

Behringer Ultragain ADA 8200

Dave.

Just wanted to circle back and let everybody know the PreSonus Digimax LT seems to be working great. Didn't really need 8 more preamps but they are really nice preamps and I can bypass them by using a TRS cable into the combo jacks so I can still use my outboard preamps when I want. Now to get Sonar Producer X1 to stop crashing all the time... (next post I guess). Thanks everybody for the input.

Just wanted to circle back and let everybody know the PreSonus Digimax LT seems to be working great. Didn't really need 8 more preamps but they are really nice preamps and I can bypass them by using a TRS cable into the combo jacks so I can still use my outboard preamps when I want. Now to get Sonar Producer X1 to stop crashing all the time... (next post I guess). Thanks everybody for the input.

Didn't crash but I bought Sonar X1 Essentials and hated it. Ditch it and get Reaper!

Dave

I have a 824 and just added a ADA8200, fairly cheap for 8 inputs, setup was a breeze. I did some test recording using a MP3 signal using 1 channel on the 824 and 1 channel on the 8200, I cant tell any difference.:D

I have a 824 and just added a ADA8200, fairly cheap for 8 inputs, setup was a breeze. I did some test recording using a MP3 signal using 1 channel on the 824 and 1 channel on the 8200, I cant tell any difference.:D

I am not in the least surprised. There will be those that say a really good .wav source WOULD show up differences but I doubt it.

Maybe JUST maybe if you had $10,000 monitors and spent about the same on a decent sized room
differences would emerge but again, unlikely.

This is NOT to say we are being ripped off for gear more expensive than Behringer's. No, build quality, features and longevity all make top end STUDIO gear generally good value ('cept when they leave MIDI off $3000 AIs!) it is the ridiculous monies asked for "hi fi" gear and especially "interconnects" that are the rip off.

Dave.

Back