does anybody use those little stand alone stations?

minofifa

hey everybody,

although i would normally be against an all-in-one stand alone unit, i would like to get something small to take to jam sessions and stuff. I just want to do quick recordings to keep track of ideas and stuff. i would like to then take the files off the machine and load them into my computer.

if anybody is using thse machines, what would they recommend? the last time i was looking at stuff like this, thee was a little zoom unit available that looked kindof neat. I'm gonna scope out musiciansfriend right now but if anybody has suggestions, i'm all ears.

ok, the digital ones are more than i want to pay. I was thinking $100-150 CDN. I also took a look at cassette 4 track recorders. They are a lot cheaper, and i'm really not after quality here.

maybe a pawn shop would be the best way to go...

I used to own a Korg D12, and while this might be a little beyond your intended price range (I think they go for about $350 to $400 new), it always had plenty of options for a compact recorder, 12 tracks w/ effects, and it was easy to move around. Very portable.

oh yeah! i forgot about korg... maybe they have a toned down version. That sounds pretty cool but i don't need 12 tracks or anything. i would consider it if i could fine one used in my price range, maybe ebay or pawned.

minofifa said:
oh yeah! i forgot about korg... maybe they have a toned down version. That sounds pretty cool but i don't need 12 tracks or anything. i would consider it if i could fine one used in my price range, maybe ebay or pawned.
A lot of people say that same thing "I don't really need that many tracks". I've said it. Now I am averaging between 20 and 25 per song. You may not need them right now, but the more you use it, the more you will find uses for it.

There are a lot of them in the $300-$400 price range that offer a lot of features, including usb ports, or even spdif. Fostex makes the MR-8, which runs about $300 US, and it's got usb. But it records off compact flash card, and you will have to buy one if you want more than the 128MB that it comes with.

Rokket said:
A lot of people say that same thing "I don't really need that many tracks". I've said it. Now I am averaging between 20 and 25 per song. You may not need them right now, but the more you use it, the more you will find uses for it.

Well, it sort-of sounds like the original poster was looking for this as essentially an electronic scratch pad for doing a rough cut of an idea, maybe at home, maybe somewhere else entirely then pulling it into the computer and doing the real recording there.

What I'd do for that would be a cheap USB note-taking recorder.... Just a thought.

dgatwood said:
Well, it sort-of sounds like the original poster was looking for this as essentially an electronic scratch pad for doing a rough cut of an idea, maybe at home, maybe somewhere else entirely then pulling it into the computer and doing the real recording there.

What I'd do for that would be a cheap USB note-taking recorder.... Just a thought.

yup that's exactly what i want. I already have a DAW where i can do my good recordings. I just want something i can take to the lake, or to a jam party and roughly record an idea. What is a "cheap USB note-taking recorder"? is it basically a little unit with a built in mic and small storage? that me bit a little be wellfare for me but something inbetween that and a small multitrack recorder is what i'm gonna look for. a 4 track cassette recorder would be cool. i'm gonna go to the pawn shops and long-mcquade tomorrow to scope things out.

thanks for all of the ideas.

Sounds like you need a digital 8-track or something similar.
Most USB interfaces have no onboard storage. If you have a laptop then that would work for you.

thane1200 said:
Sounds like you need a digital 8-track or something similar.
Most USB interfaces have no onboard storage. If you have a laptop then that would work for you.

yeah i have my laptop but i want something that's quicker to get going, ye know, real simple. an 8-track digital box would be sweet if i could find one that fit the bill

Back