Do I have to update the BIOS if...

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
I'm upgrading to an old CPU from an older CPU. Just built a (somewhat) new computer! :D

Found out that my e4300 Core 2 Duo was a dud, because I put in a Celeron 430 I had on hand and it worked. Now, the Cele is a horrible POS and I just bought another Core 2 Duo. I downloaded everything on the CD that came with the mobo (it's a new mobo with an old socket). Will I even have to worry about the BIOS or is it as simple as putting in the CPU and then go?

Usually on a late model MB, the MB will detect the CPU at boot up and set everything. If it is what is called an "unlocked" you can do manual tweaks. I don't recommend it as usually it will make your system unstable. You may check the manufacturer to see if there are any issues with the BIOS program, but usually having to update is not required.

I do recommend making sure all of the OS drivers for the MB are installed as that will affect your system performance.

Hope this helps.

it never hurts to update to the latest firmware as long as its not so new you won't know what to expect. You will need to look at your mobo docs or contact the mobo mfg to determine if the CPU you purchased is supported. If it is the same as the one you had in it at some point, my guess is you will be fine with or with out updates. Always remember, you are always at risk when flashing the firmware on any device, have a backup plan.

Back