Do all tracks have to be recorded at the same bit and sample rate?

twangbuck

Newbie question: do all tracks in a project have to be recorded at the same bit and sample rate? What happens if they're not? If I'm going to mix the whole thing down to 44,100 hz, 16 bit rate anyway, does it matter?
By the way, I'm using Cubase LE on a pc with a zoom r8 for an interface. Thanks!

Well, you will need to convert any files that are recorded at a different rate than your project is setup as. Cubase will do this for you.

Dunno about Cubase but some DAWs force you to convert non-standard tracks while others will perform a temporary conversion in background (which uses up processor cycles and can become a pain--I'd rather control my own conversion). Either way, tracks need to match to be mixed so I'd just go through and convert the sample type before starting your mix.

Rate yes, bit depth, 16bit mixed with 24bit tracks.. in 32bit app no less, don't mater. When you make any 'move (change) on the track the file math expands (down in added bit depth presumably). From there they are 24 (or 32bit?) just like the rest.

I think.
Pretty sure
Yeah probably.. :D

I was hoping I could simply start a project at one bit/sample rate, record some dry guitar signals at that rate, then lower the project sample/bit rate in project settings when recording the reamped tracks and everything else. Recording everything at the higher rates is going to hurt CPU wise. Guess this won't work? What happens at mix down if my tracks are at different rates?

I was hoping I could simply start a project at one bit/sample rate, record some dry guitar signals at that rate, then lower the project sample/bit rate in project settings when recording the reamped tracks and everything else. Recording everything at the higher rates is going to hurt CPU wise. Guess this won't work? What happens at mix down if my tracks are at different rates?
You mean start high (88, 96kHz) then go down?

yeah. If I start recording everything at a high sample/bit rate, my cpu's going to freeze up as soon as I start slapping plug-ins on stuff.

Let's not open the sample rate debate again!

However, I'd say that, in this case, you have lots of convenience to gain and nothing much to lose starting off at 44.1/24 bit for everything, mixing that way, then converting down to 44.1/16 bit once finished and mastered.

This ^^^ why make it confusing. Unless you are recording classical music with an orchestra you won't notice the difference recording at 44.1 24bit or 96k at 24bit. I actually only ever record at 44.1 24bit.

A lot of DAW's will let you mix up 16 bit files with 24 bit files, but I don't think any can have 44.1 and 48 sample rates mixed in the same project.

Alan.

A few others do as well but I'm pretty sure they (including Vegas) do it by performing background conversions while you mix which can (and does) have an effect on performance.

A few others do as well but I'm pretty sure they (including Vegas) do it by performing background conversions while you mix which can (and does) have an effect on performance.

Most likely. I don't actually use that feature except for things like using camera audio to line up video tracks (which it can also mix and match and which I also avoid doing).

Back