Distorted Playback

andrushkiwt

I have recorded a dozen or so full songs on my HP laptop with Studio One Pro. I use around 15-20 total tracks, many plug-ins (from basic EQ to heavier-duty "autofilters") and have never reached "maxed" processing (indicated by a bar in the bottom left corner of the DAW). My laptop is "optimized" for recording (wireless off, basic themes, etc...) and came with 8GB RAM. I thought that the RAM itself, plus the few tricks I did to the PC, would eliminate any popping/clicking/distorting during audio playback.

However, one particular tune has a lot of plug-ins and "filter" effects, some Melodyne instances, and runs Superior Drummer 2. I know...that is a lot going on for a laptop. However, I read online (so it must be true!) that usually 4GB RAM is more than enough for even heavy duty sessions...and, thereby, that 8GB RAM is almost overkill for even the most plug-in-intense sessions.

I have made sure that any inserts are sent to their own channel where other tracks can pass through them, rather than applying the same reverb to each individual vocal track, for example. Anything else I'm missing here? It's at the point, on this song, where I can't mix it properly since I can't hear anything very well...too much distorted popping. Should I simply upgrade my RAM? I'd think 8GB is enough (I only use this laptop for Studio One Pro, nothing else). Any other tips for maximizing processing power? What about increasing the buffer size...? Is that recommended in these situations?

Here's a link to the mastered version of the track...but, as I wrote, I couldn't hear during the mixing phase very well. I had to adjust many things during mastering, but, of course, that affects everything in the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/this-city-1

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys

Your bottle neck could be CPU, ram (less likely) or hard drive access.

Your best bet is to use some kind of monitoring tool to find out for certain.

You didn't tell us what kind of laptop you have. CPU spec? Specific model number if possible.
Is the session on the built in drive? 5400 speed?
What is your buffer size set to? The buffer should only be low if you need low latency whilst recording material, and you don't have direct monitoring with your interface.
Once you're mixing you can set the buffer to 512 or higher and let the computer take a load off.

I'm listening through headphones, but I'm not hearing a major problem with the track, which I think has turned out pretty well.

However, there is a boxy sound to the vocal which is noticeable at the start.

To me it sounds like what might happen if you recorded the vocals with the speakers on.

p.s. is a great song!

You didn't tell us what kind of laptop you have. CPU spec? Specific model number if possible.
Is the session on the built in drive? 5400 speed?
What is your buffer size set to? The buffer should only be low if you need low latency whilst recording material, and you don't have direct monitoring with your interface.
Once you're mixing you can set the buffer to 512 or higher and let the computer take a load off.

I didn't know about changing the buffer size after recording. I'll figure out how to do that and give it a try. I always leave it at the default (256).

Laptop is SKU 168476, Model G4U21UT#ABA Windows 7 64-Bit, Intel Core i3, Smart Cache 3MB, 8GB Total Mem, DDR3-1600, Holds to 16GB w/ one open slot, 1TB HD capacity. Not a computer guy, so let me know if I left something vital out.

I'm listening through headphones, but I'm not hearing a major problem with the track, which I think has turned out pretty well.

However, there is a boxy sound to the vocal which is noticeable at the start.

To me it sounds like what might happen if you recorded the vocals with the speakers on.

p.s. is a great song!

Thanks a lot, that means a lot to me. I'm having the hardest time of all with the vocals. I know this is the digital forum, and might be better suited for the mixing clinic forum, but help w/ the vox would be appreciated. I like using the effects on the vox (delay, dist, filters), gives a nice spacey sound...but lacks body and "uumpphh?" My mic is a Sterling ST51 and I have an untreated room. Running through a PreSonus USB interface.

I didn't know about changing the buffer size after recording. I'll figure out how to do that and give it a try. I always leave it at the default (256).

Laptop is SKU 168476, Model G4U21UT#ABA Windows 7 64-Bit, Intel Core i3, Smart Cache 3MB, 8GB Total Mem, DDR3-1600, Holds to 16GB w/ one open slot, 1TB HD capacity. Not a computer guy, so let me know if I left something vital out.

That's all pretty cool.
The first* thing would be to check buffer size and up it, if possible.
If it's maxed then you can either freeze/bounce tracks (although I hate that), move the session to an external hard drive, or monitor system resources to see what's maxing out.

That's all pretty cool.
The first* thing would be to check buffer size and up it, if possible.
If it's maxed then you can either freeze/bounce tracks (although I hate that), move the session to an external hard drive, or monitor system resources to see what's maxing out.

Do you guys run into these problems often? I'd like to think I'm not going crazy w/ plug-ins, since it's comparable to my other songs...but as I keep writing and mixing, I'm going to accumulate more plug-ins and space will be written over with existing tracks...so, the problem may get worse. Does this happen to anyone?

I used to get it when I was on a 4gb ram/core2duo/internal hard drive laptop.

I haven't really had to worry about it since I upgrade to a newer laptop with SSD and more ram.
For me ram and hdd became bottlenecks very quickly. It happens a lot quicker with virtual instruments.

Your processor is, apparently, a i3 3110m which, according to benchmarks, carries about the same weight as a core2quad q6600.
If all of the above is true, CPU is unlikely to be your problem.

It happens a lot quicker with virtual instruments.

Your processor is, apparently, a i3 3110m which, according to benchmarks, carries about the same weight as a core2quad q6600.
If all of the above is true, CPU is unlikely to be your problem.

um, yeah, forgot to mention I'm also running an instance of Mojito on the track in question...it's Studio One's virtual instrument. Those things never sound right on their own, so I had to add a ton of verb, filters, and dist. Yeah, I'll try to take it easy on the virtual instrument inserts. Thanks everyone, big help.

So, buffer size is 256. I can double that, but it won't actually let me.select the next highest option. Weird. The options tab has buffer size scroll box, and I see 512, but when I select it, it goes back to 256. I can select lower options, but not higher. As a test, I tried 32...it would hardly play anything recognizable. Complete distortion. Back at 256, its popping and clicking still.

No idea why I can't actually select 512. I'm sure that'd be the cure. Btw...when this particular song is in playback, my task manager reads CPU 65% and RAM 3 out of 8 possible. It's gotta be that buffer size.

Is it only possible to "up" the buffer before you make the track? Probably a dumb q, but I don't know why I can't change it to the 512 I see.

I sure did. Still wouldn't actually change it. Good call though. I'm thinking that's all my session can handle...but I can see that 512!!

I sure did. Still wouldn't actually change it. Good call though. I'm thinking that's all my session can handle...but I can see that 512!!

Oh, here......

Quit S1, open universal control, set buffer to highest, then open S1 again.
Apparently UC is in charge of the upper limit. :)

I'll try this shortly, I appreciate the help.

Apparently, I don't have Universal Control. Googled it, and I see that it's for certain mixers and other products...I don't think it;s for S1 PRO alone. I'll contact their customer support to find out how to get that unlocked buffer size to go up. Thanks for the help though, I really do appreciate that.

Last edited:
Back