Disabling PCI steering in Win 2000

Hey guys,

Sorry to dredge up old news, but I thought I'd bump this because I'm having similar problems I think.

I am NOT a techie, and know nothing about how to do any of this stuff.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and even with my old soundcard, when I opened up Sonar, it gave me this error message described in the earlier posts, about the format not being supported or in use by another application, or whatever it was. Now, with my new Layla24, same problem.

I'd really like to be able to use WDM drivers. Last night I had it all installed, no luck, used the MME only, and it still would not let me do it. This sucks, because I don't know how to troubleshoot this, and I can't be messing around inside my laptop. No experience, no braveness.

Anyway, it looks like all my audio/video stuff is on IRQ 7, and I don't know what I should do, AT ALL. I don't have an XP install disk, just the restore disks that come with the computer. This has XP home, and I have the XP office upgrade.

I don't know what kind of info you should know otherwise. Happy to tell you, but I don't know what to offer that is useful for anyone out there, with regard to my system.

I have not tried to do this without re-installing. Since it didn't really work for anyone else, I don't know if I should start messing with this stuff. I really don't know crap about IRQ or anything else--I just want to be able to record some music.

I rolled back my system to before I installed the Layla drivers, and am waiting to do anything, until I can figure out what the problem might be. Haven't called Echo, haven't called Toshiba, don't know who to call. Anyone have any ideas on what my next step should be?

By the by, though I haven't tried to record through it yet, my PC desktop installation went without problems, but that was Windows 98se, and I can't use the WDM there either.

Please help?

Kirstin

It couldn't be something as simple as the cards control panel having a different audio setting to your app could it? Most pro cards have the option of locking the sample rate or letting the application choose it. Also, I've heard that Sonar profiles some cards incorectly for 24bit - choosing Left justified instead of Right (or is it other way?)
Thanks for bringing up this thread - the info on IRQ/ACPI is facinating and explains a lot.

Thanks, Jim. Well, as I said, I'm not really very intelligent about technical stuff, but I DO know that my Layla literature told me to select 32-bit left justified. I wish I would have tried to use my Layla on my desktop, but I haven't tried yet. It's like I want to make sure it ALL seems to be working before I actually record. Hmmm. Maybe procrastination?

I may just try to use the MME drivers, but actually, it wasn't wanting to let me do that either, but it may be something I just haven't set right, I don't know.

Say I should decide to reinstall Windows XP Pro in this way, since I don't have a true Windows XP disk. I would start by using my toshiba disk that came with the laptop with XP home on it. This type of install does not give me the option of how to set it up. They have done it all within their three disks. Then, I would use my Windows XP pro upgrade disk. If I remember correctly, I again, doing it as an UPGRADE, was not allowed to change any setup info, i.e. the ACPI stuff--standard PC, I think is the one I want. If I did it as a CLEAN install, do you think I would be allowed to choose this option? It doesn't sound fun, as I would have to reinstall EVERYTHING, but I could deal with that if it would truly improve my performance.

Do you think this may be what I should do, or do you think that my laptop is setup in some way that would not allow for as many IRQs as, say, my desktop and that stacking is something it NEEDS to do? This is where my true ignorance will shine, I'm sure.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
Kirstin

There is a how-to article tyo disable ACPI after install - try
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/mar02/articles/pcmusician0302.asp

Another cause of getting an unsupported message from Sonar?
If you want to open a Sonar 1.3.1 project but on a fresh install have forgotten to run the update. Something else that bothers me is the "roll back" feature - if an application update changes some system .dll files, would a roll back undo them?

Last edited:
Back