Direct sound recording problem

JackDe

I need to record news sessions and reports from on-line radios and stations but my sound card does not support direct sound recording. I use Samplitude on HP notebook with Windows 8.1 and integrated Realtek card. I know I could use better things but last notebook with Realtek card worked well for this purpose so I was not expecting such problems.
I was not able to fix it trying Adobe Audition, Reaper, installing Asio4All and some software utilities creating another input or plenty of other hopeless things as other drivers... I though that maybe someone would know a better way? I would truly appreciate all advices.
If the software solution would not be possible maybe there could be some other hardware workaround? I could invest up to circa 100$ to an external sound card if it would be able to record without such noise as coming from these integrated Realtek cards. I am using HP Pavilion 15-p008ng. I am in Europe-Czech republic so my choice might not be so great as in US.
Please excuse me some missing knowledge about sound recording, I study IR. I have searched in forums, but could not find similar problem, however there might be a similar post, so please refer to it in case ;)

Thanks for all advices,
Jack

I do actually remember finding a way to record directly from anything streaming on the net when I had a Tascam US1800. If I recall the input came from the SPDIF input to a bus in Cubase from the Tascam, which sounds strange to me now as I am not sure how that was even possible. That was a long time ago tho and not sure how this helps or if it is even accurate.

Do you actually need to record it live? If so, then you may need to have a separate recording computer or device.

Reaper just record silence - I can only record using pc microphone, which makes the spoken word quite unrecognizable... I cannot go to windows 7, because of multiple driver conflicts with this HP notebook. Anyway thank you very much for your effort!Clipboard02.jpg
So if the external sound card would be the only solution could you provide me some tips which one should I look for?

Sometimes I need to record several live reports in a day as I need to still have them later. That Tascam solution seems to me quite complicated frankly. It could be fine if I could just use some external card associable with Samplitude I know how to use easily. I am definitely not an expert...

I was not recommending that particular Tascam interface for your needs. Only recalling that it was possible to achieve what you desire with an external interface alone.

I am not sure if this is possible with any or some interfaces. I just put it out there because it is a possibility.

Hopefully others will have better insight and advice than I.

It may be cheaper just to record to another recording device or computer. Obviously the most efficient would be software or soundcard that will do it on the same computer.

That is the problem actually. There is no stereo mix. I tried to fix it with some programs as VB Cable but not successfully.
Clipboard04.jpg

This notebook does not have even classical 3.5mm mic jack so I cannot link output and input which might be a solution as well. It is no problem, I can wait a few days of course. I think there is a solution, so thank you very much for your help so far! I will to turn off the pc for now, it is 3am there ;-)

After some searching: Recording is possible through Audacity changing recording option in settings to Windows Wasapi recording. Also some external sound cards allow Stereo mix...

Hi Jack.
I do a lot of this, grab radio broadcasts, mostly Radio 3 but I am using Win 7.
I have I think read that Msoft were stopping the facility to grab sound. I will post the question on Sound on Sound forum, the Scan Man will surely know!

Meantime, see the attachments/. I rarely use Audacity now so it took me some time to realize that the meters only work in actual record mode? Cannot find a record "arm".

In case the shot is unreadable* the driver is MME, the output Communication Headphones and the input Msoft Sound Mapper. Of course you may not have these!

A cheap external solution comes to mind. Behringer UCA 202. Just plug RCA inputs to outputs. Danger is of course feedback if the loop gain is 1 or greater but you sound pretty handy Jack? I guess you could rig a stereo pot in the feed? I have a 202 somewhere about, I will see if I can dig it out and give it a do!

*This laptop always saves screen grabs like that although they are full size in Paint. Any ideas why chaps?

Dave.

Attachments

• Audacity R3.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • audacity sound grab.png
    audacity sound grab.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 9
I think the problem is solved for me. I will use Audacity instead of Samplitude. I just need to select the Windows WASAPI.

Clipboard01.jpg

Well I think it is as you say Dave - I have read in some other discussion that Microsoft is doing it because people might illegally record music so it disabled this ability, but I do not think it is a good decision, because they removed the basic ability of my notebook to record what reporters say in radios worldwide! If it goes this way, one day I would need to learn how to work with Linux, because it will not be possible to use Windows for work anymore... I thank you for your effort! You can give a try to IrfanView or some graphic editor if it could solve that screen resizing problem ;)

Back