Dilema: Dual Xeon or Dual Core system ?

gilwe

I have to decide which system to go for. My main host is Nuendo, and I used to use a DELL Precision 670 Dual Xeon 3.2 on a daily basis recording and mixing using Nuendo and misc plugins. My biggest session containts so many plugins and still plays fine with no stuttering etc. on this particular machine.

Now I came across a DELL Precision 650 Dual Xeon 3.06 system which I wanted to buy, and the price asked is the same price I would pay for a new dual-core computer, but I can't decide which one would be preferable because I really have no experience running those sessions on dual-core systems...

Do you think a 3.2 dualcore machine will be able to hold the same amount of plugins and stay "alive", like the Dual Xeon 3.2 did ?

I recall trying that "big" session on a dual Xeon 2.8 server and it performed exactly the same as on the dual Xeon 3.2 - so I thought that there might be more to it than the CPU configuration itself which makes it that string (i.e bus speed, CPU task schedualer etc.) - in a way that only server motherboards can do.

My main dilema - spend 800$ on that precision 650 or get a new 64bit supported dual core 3.2 (or 3.0) system ? (the Xeon in question doet NOT support 64bit)

Last edited:
Back