Digital "Ticks" when using Apogee and UA Apollo

cprescott1972

Hey there. I'm getting an occasional tick when using an Apogee Rosetta 800 and an Apollo Firewire interface. Recording at 44.1 / 24 bit. The channels that are coming in through the Apollo are clean but everyone once in a while the signal coming in through the Apogee (ADAT light pipe smux connected) is recording some ticks. I'm using the Apollo as the clock source and its connected via WC BNC type cable.

The Apogee unit was recently purchased so I'm not 100% sure it's functioning properly?
I used to use an Apogee AD 2 channel converter and it would act like this if I didn't make it the clock source. I was hoping that the Rosetta 800 would not be as finicky.

Hoping to not have to return the unit. Thinking of maybe replacing the light pipe cables? Trying to avoid having to buy an external clock like a big ben. $600. Yikes.

Anyone else experience this problem and solve it?

Thanks in advance

What size do you have your ASIO buffer set to (how many samples)? Try enlarging it just a bit and see if that gets rid of the clicks.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the maximum buffer so I'd be surprised if that was it. But also, it is a big session. Lots of tracks and plugins. Just seems suspicious that its only happening on the external apogee conversion. Seems like the Apollo would be the most reliable clocking source in this instance but I suppose I could try it the other way around.

Intermittent problems are really tough to diagnose.

As you mentioned, I would try changing the master clock device. And make sure your control software/DAW have the same settings to match whatever switches you have set, if that's something you need to adjust. (I know my Focusrite control app needs it.)

Back