Digital Recorder (Boss BR800) vs Synth Workstation (Yamaha MoxF8)

Soccerlogical

Which option do you guys think produces better sounding multitrack recordings (vox & guitar going through Yamaha Line IN and utilizing its effects/samples).

And is the final mix that different if audio sample rate and bit depth are similar on both options?

TY

I have a MOX8 so I clicked on this thread based on the title..... (Boss BR800) vs Synth Workstation (Yamaha MoxF8)....

The MOXF is a keyboard with a ton of cool effects with a Steinberg 4 track digital interface built in...You can do multi tracks within it but as far as I know you can't record audio tracks "into it"...That's requires a computer ( Mac or PC) and recording software like Cubase which comes free with the MOXF or other DAWS like Protools, Reaper. Logic etc...

The Boss BR800 is a standalone recorder.....

Though the learning curve is steeper learning to use a computer based DAW to record..Once up and running it's a no brainer that it is much easier to get in and edit and work on tracks with a mouse and monitor, far more tools to use and far more powerful than a stand alone set up...Stand alones are way easier to get simple tracks laid down... You can always bring the tracks from the boss into the computer and edit them...If you start in the box you don't have to bother with that step...

In regards to sample and bit rates....we are so over the top on this marketing bullshit....24 bit /44khz is fine..... is there a "noticeable" difference between 44/ 96 /192 khz not that anyone can pick out in a blind fold test but if you analyze it on a computer there is.

If you already have the MOXF I personally would not recommend getting the BR800...The built in interface is surprisingly nice...If you already own them both go with what you feel more comfortable using but I always encourage people to face the beast that is in the box recording just way to easy and powerful as you get used to using it.

TAE, thanks for reply.

I used Pro Tools in past and trying to avoid DAW (and spending money on faster laptop and software).

Are you familiar with any synth workstation (under $2K) which are able to record guitar and vox into sequencer (via line in) and incorporate them into final stereo mix?

I don't think they want to cross that line, so much. Could happen, for sure. The sampling function might be as far as they want to go

Reaper is free to download and try out, $60 to to register. ANy half-decent computer with at least $G RAM and current processor will work until you load it with too many tracks.

You may also want to look into the Zoom stand-alone multi-track recorders if you plan to go that route.

One difference between using a computer vs a stand-alone recorder is, a computer is and can be way more powerful, as powerful as you want to be...multiple cores, ram up the wazoo. You can run more FX's, audio tracks, midi tracks, using hand picked VSTi's & FX's of your own choice. Also a computer will allow you to use any interface you want with the type of connectivity you need, and you can also use multiples of some interfaces if the extra I/O is needed.
Unike a computer DAW, if you're going the all-in-one stand-alone recorder, you're fairly limited from the start, so I wouldn't even concern myself with what 'sounds better in a final mix' at that point. It'll at least be good enough. But the again, if the stand-alone solution meets your needs otherwise, then all is good.
Even IF there's a keyboard/workstation in existence that can record audio tracks, don't be expecting anything much more than these stand-alone multi-track recorders, as they certainly will be just as limited.

He asked about better sounding. That's the input, converters and op-amps in the output. He's, for sure asking about the final production, though. You can't beat editing on the computer, But in choosing Guitar and Vocals, I think the Boss would be much more suitable, overall.

Back