Digital Performer Question

Guitars In Sync

I posed this question on another site, but I'm not sure that I'll get an answer, so I'm hoping that a fellow "Motu-er" is here.

I'm currently using DP 7.24 on OSX 10.6.8 in the studio and have been hesitant to upgrade to DP8 until I finish our current CD - fearful that some of my plugins will need upgrading, or that it won't work with OSX 10.6.8 - and I don't have time to mess with all that now. I'll upgrade to DP 8 there, once I finish.

However, my laptop (also 10.6.8 and DP 7.24)) that I am using for performances is beginning to show its age and I'm currently holding out to get the new 2015 MacBookPro when it is offered (but may have to get the current MacBookPro with Yosemite if my current laptop goes before then.

Questions:

1. Will DP 7.24 work with Yosemite?
2. Will DP 8 work with new Yosemite or my older OSX 10.6.8?
3. Will Motu have to come out with another upgrade to DP8 in order to work with the new OSX coming after Yosemite in 2015?

I need to plan ahead but not sure what will work with what - and in what time frame. I'll be checking the Motu site specs as well, but they don't speak to the future; only what's currently selling.

Thanks

George
George Bowley & Laurie Dupuis
Music in the Les Paul and Mary Ford Tradition

Last edited:
Hi ! Sorry that I could not answer this sooner… I only just joined the site…

I am running DP 7.24 quite happily on Yosemite… with the very latest MOTU audio and MIDI drivers !! however, there are a few small issues, because doing a fresh install of DP on Yosemite doesn't quite have all the right folders in all the right places !
such as where plug-in presets are saved !
If you upgrade to Yosemite over 10.6.8 with DP already installed all the folders will still be in the right place !
On a clean Yosemite install I have manually placed the necessary missing folders to ensure the correct pathnames for DP 7.24 and this seems to satisfy DP ! At this moment there are no other issues that I have found, but will inform you of anything that I find !!!
I also am in the middle of an album, and don't want to upgrade to DP8 just yet ! Maybe I might even wait for DP9 !!!
I suggest that an upgrade to Yosemite over 10.6.8 will work just fine…
if you want to do a fresh install, then make a note of all the /Library/Audio/xxx folders used by DP 7.24 and simply rebuild the necessary paths for them… the only one I have had to do so far is /Library/Audio/Presets/Digital Performer/Dy

Do yourself a favour and download the free AudioDeck 4.01 from the MOTU site ! Installing it will install all the new plug-ins from DP8, even though many of them are not actually available are not available in AudioDesk ! :) They all seem to work just fine in DP 7.24 ! haha !! I discovered this by accident !

There are 3rd party plug ins that don't work, such as mda au for OSX… not sure about others…

Clone your existing Snow Leopard installation to another partition, install Yosemite over that, DP 7.24 will work fine, and you can test your plug-ins ! Even if a DP analysis says the plug-ins are ok some still may not work… if the plug-in control setup boxes are blank… then they don't work !

best
Rick

Thanks Rick for a very informative response! Much appreciated!

My dilemma actually resolved itself by circumstances. I had been looking forward, for 1 1/2 years now, to getting the latest 15” MacBook Pro laptop, and my core concern was not knowing how a brand new OS X (beyond Yosemite) and DP 7.24 would mix.

But… when Apple announced the iWatch a few weeks ago, they also announced the new 13” laptop model - and I didn’t like it at all. Among other things (like no magnetic power connector), they no longer have ports on the right and left side of the laptop. Since all of my personal and business work is on flash drives (so I can continually switch computers easily), I need quick access to my USB ports and others - particularly during performances.

So I decided to grab a Mid-2014 15” laptop before (or if ever) the new 15” appeared. As you say, 7.24 works fine on Yosemite and I have no problems, performance-wise, with it - since my Performance Project file isn’t dependent on external plugins. All the tracks are mixed previously in the studio. I did find that my MicroBook II wasn’t being recognized, but that was just an update to the audio driver. Asked MOTU and they responded within 5 hours! Great.

One interesting thing… When I load my Master Performance Project on other computers, the inputs and outputs are all different, and I need to reassign the busses, etc. No problem, actually, since they are just multiple backups. But thought that was a little strange.

Thanks again for your interest and response. I guess I’m all set for another five years…

George
George Bowley & Laurie Dupuis
Music in the Les Paul and Mary Ford Tradition

Back