Digital out - where to input?

Levinin

Hi - a bit of a novice question:
If I have a bit of kit like an onyx 800R which has a digital out (AES/EBU, ADAT lightpipe and S/PDIF) - how do I get this into my computer?

Do I need a specific type of pci card and if so which is best?

All help very welcome. :confused:

Thanks guys.

Is aes/ebu better for this in any way then? I'm guessing that the balanced line makes it very reliable data-wise, but is it worth looking for a card with that i/o or are the other methods (ADAT lightpipe and S/PDIF) as reliable in your experience?

What would be way kewl is if there was an *affordable* device that took 4 spdif ins and muxed them to a single ADAT output.

I have plenty of (stero) devices with SPDIF, but I lack enough spdif inputs on my mixer/ADAs. I do have avaialbel adat inputs.

Levinin said:
So any recommendations of cards with ADAT in and a couple of analogue outs (for monitors).

The E-MU 1820M or similar perhaps? The audioterminal 010 for instance doesn't seem to have analogue outputs.

The 1820M has more than what you'll need, and to boot, the convertors are quite nice.

brzilian said:
And unreliable drivers.

Do your research before you post idiocies like this, and don't just parrot what you may have heard months ago.

For all intents and purposes, the flaky driver issues have been resolved.

Ok, did a little research myself and came up with the ST AUDIO DSP24 ADAT I/O CARD. Has anyone used these? It seems a little cheaper than most alternatives (probably not a good thing) and gives ADAT in with 2 analogue out's for monitoring.

ST Audio was not so recently acquired by ESI...which is a pretty good company. Underrated, generally quality driver, and a fine driver architecture. The ST Audio stuff are generally older designs, though, made to work with the older drivers. Combination of age and obscurity would keep me away.

I actually like the E-mu stuff, but the drivers are admittedly limited. I have and 1820 and I use the ADAT on it all the time. The limited drivers (no multichannel WDM, so useless for your ADAT in if you want to use a WDM application, no GSIF, no multicard) are a valid concern if you see yourself needing these now or in the future.

If you've got the money for an 800R, I'm guessing you've got the money for a nice interface to go with it, and there aren't many that are nicer than the RME line. The Digiface gives you 3x ADAT and a headphone/line out to monitor. The Multiface gives you just 1 ADAT IO, but a whole slew of analog ins and outs as well.

If you insist on going cheaper, there's the recent stuff from Echo and E-mu. Plenty of people on boths sides get good work out of them. Echo has a pretty good reputation for good product and drivers. While the E-mu may have the better converters, since you're using ADAT, remember that you're not going to be using them anyways as the AD conversion is happening in your preamp anyways. :)

If you're lucky, maybe you can find a used EWS Terratec 88D. Heard nothing but good things out of this card's users, but you'll have a hell of a time finding it anywhere else but the second-hand market. Oh, and it's cheap...around the 100 mark or less at the ebays and flea markets of the world. It also helps that this thing will multicard with other EWS cards for expansion...

Thanks Sklathill. Like the look of those rme and echo devices. Just need to find a shop I can take at look at them in now.

Quick question. With a pre-amp taken straight to digital - is there not a danger of receiving a clipped signal through the digital interface because of the inablilty to add a limiter before the ADCs? Is it therefore a good idea to leave some hefty headroom in the signal even though this will reduce the resolution of the signal (less bits because of less power)? Or is it hard to clip at this stage and limiting can be handled by the software?

BTW: http://www.nusystems.co.uk/product/Terratec.EWS88D

fraserhutch said:
Do your research before you post idiocies like this, and don't just parrot what you may have heard months ago.

For all intents and purposes, the flaky driver issues have been resolved.

Oh really?

I actually like the E-mu stuff, but the drivers are admittedly limited. I have and 1820 and I use the ADAT on it all the time. The limited drivers (no multichannel WDM, so useless for your ADAT in if you want to use a WDM application, no GSIF, no multicard) are a valid concern if you see yourself needing these now or in the future.

brzilian said:
Oh really?

There is a HUGE difference between flaky drivers and an unsupported protocol. Sheesh.

The drivers work FINE now, they just don;t support multichannel WDM.
If you need multichannel WDM, look elsewhere. If you can use ASIO as in the case with Sonar or Nuendo, you're good to go.

Back