Digital Multitrack or Computer?

Vice1

I have been recording lately on a decent PC but to do what I want to do I need to upgrade my system alot! I would like to have a great DAW to record the bands on my campus for a cheap price. By this summer I'll have saved a couple thousand to invest in a worksation. Now that I am looking around I was wondering what the difference is between a computer based DAW like the Dgidesign Pro tools, and a Digital Multitrack like Roland VS-1680. I am mostly going to be recording multiple Audio tracks at the same time. Any Suggestions?Thanks

I've been asking myself the ame questions, Here's where I stand now.
I see little incentive to buy a stand-alone box, especially the vs 1680($$$$$). It seems like these are the "for now" choice of people who are not familiar w/ computers or think they are too expensive, no offense to those who own and love them. For the price you pay for the 1680, you can get a pretty hot pc workstation running. From there you can upgrade incrementally, rather than selling off the box or eventually linking it to your comp. anyway. The MOTU soundcards have 24 bit and higher A/D converters, better than you're gonna get from a box (If that means anything to you). That said, there are still some applications where the box might come in handy, and they're probably easier to get the hang of(?) You may even want to go the ADAT route. My suggestion is to do a lot of pricing, demoing, and evaluating your needs. When I think about the future, I figure I might as well start building the pc now> Have Fun. lzb

My one problem with computers is that they do so many things, but they really aren't great at any one thing as of now. At least the multitrack units are geared towards what they do, and they do it well. But don't pay too much attention to me, I'm just a 16 year old kid. (in other words I have very little experience in recording)

There are some things that you might want to consider. What would it take to upgrade your current pc to make it a DAW? Will you be doing on site recording? Is equipment portability important to you?

You might want to think about these things. Check out some of the other forums and info pages here on this BBS.

Portability and compatibility is where its at. I'd consider a nice mixer and an external direct to CD burner with a digital out. Then a soundcard with a digital in and a cheap burner. I saw the Philips CDRW for under $400
last week. A digital capable soundcard can be had for under $200. I use this system and I can set up my mobile rig in less than 15 minutes. I only mentioned the mixer because you said you want to record bands. I've been using two mics direct thru a preamp to the CDRW without any mixer. But to do drums or highly amplified stuff, a mixer will come in handy.

Back