Digital Mixer vs Audio Interface

doncolga

Hi everybody,

I hope this is not a silly question, but I'm not super experienced with all this and would like some input. Would I have any advantages in using a digital mixer like my current Tascam DM-24 digital mixer as my method of getting audio to and from my PC instead of something like a Presonus Firepod, MOTU Traveler using Firewire? Right now I actually have the DM-24 and I'm using ADAT optical I/O to and from the PC through an E-mu 1212M. But recently I've started to do almost all mixing in the box (Sonar 4), and right now I'm basically using it as a big interface. Anything else great I should be doing with the digital mixer that I'm missing? I was guessing DAW control interface?...

One more question...I've read that the Firewire Interface for the DM-24 supports 24 channel I/O at 48K, but not higher like 96K...do you all view that as a big limitation? The mixer itself will do 96K, but right now I'm doing everything 44.1K.

Thanks!

Donny

Some people prefer having the faders at their fingertips, some people like a mouse click. Whatever floats your boat.

The gear is a factor, too. If the mixer has better mic pre's than the interface, use it for that.

doncolga said:
Hi everybody,

One more question...I've read that the Firewire Interface for the DM-24 supports 24 channel I/O at 48K, but not higher like 96K...do you all view that as a big limitation? The mixer itself will do 96K, but right now I'm doing everything 44.1K.

I only record at 48k. Most pros report they cannot tell any difference between 48k and 96k, which makes sense. Try it for yourself, and see. Plus, the HDD space savings is also a plus! 96k eats up space FAST!

Back