Digital/Internet Collaboration Site(s)?

hermanlewis

I'm looking for an internet collaboration site where I can host the audio I've recorded (I mostly use Pro Tools and Reaper) and invite my band to my works-in-progress so they can see the music I've uploaded at home. I've tried using SoundCloud, but it has significant limitations based on what I'm trying to do. Security and multitrack stem playback/visualization are important to me. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a collaboration site? I already use two DAWs, so I'm not really looking for another recording solution.

Have you tried just sending your product to DropBox or OneBox or one of the many and putting it in a folder that is only shared with your band mates?

What BH said or, Western Digital has a NAS HD that provides a way for you to share content on your own private cloud. Rather simple, all you have to do is set it up, create an account on the the NAS for the people, register and each person can map the drive on their computer and pull the project straight up from their DAW (if using the same software) or import straight from the mapped directory.

1 TB for little more than $100. It really isn't that complex and they have the way for everyone to connect pretty straight forward.

I've got a WD MyCloud 4TB NAS, and while it's great inside the house for NAS storage, it's been problematic for sharing files with others over the net. One friend uses Win XP and it crashes his computer every time he transfers anything (although the transfer does complete). And another friend running Win7 whose transfers always time out without actually copying anything.

It's a great device in theory, but a little hokey in action. Maybe their more "prosumer" models other than the MyCloud are more stable/friendly. Maybe as WD's software matures and gets patched up, it'll be a more reliable way to share files and projects with others.

When it's worked, the MyCloud has been awesome...I can pick up an entire project that my friend is working on, add my parts to it, and he can grab the updated project.

For smaller projects, I'd recommend just using DropBox. It's more stable and free for anything under 2 GB.

I've got a WD MyCloud 4TB NAS, and while it's great inside the house for NAS storage, it's been problematic for sharing files with others over the net. One friend uses Win XP and it crashes his computer every time he transfers anything (although the transfer does complete). And another friend running Win7 whose transfers always time out without actually copying anything.

It's a great device in theory, but a little hokey in action. Maybe their more "prosumer" models other than the MyCloud are more stable/friendly. Maybe as WD's software matures and gets patched up, it'll be a more reliable way to share files and projects with others.

When it's worked, the MyCloud has been awesome...I can pick up an entire project that my friend is working on, add my parts to it, and he can grab the updated project.

For smaller projects, I'd recommend just using DropBox. It's more stable and free for anything under 2 GB.

I really didn't have that much trouble, but I probably didn't put it through its full paces. Seems like a good idea. But yea, for under a few gigs, the free sites are probably the best. You can't beat the big boys' technology.

I've used DropBox as well as GoogleDrive for projects without any problems, to speak of. The biggest hassle is the sync times, especially if someone puts >1GB of data unexpectedly out there, you have to wait for it to sync with your system before being able to do much with it. That said, you CAN put >1GB up there and your bandmates will be able to get to it. I wouldn't recommend, necessarily, working on the files in real time via DropBox, but for smaller things like GuitarPro files, GoogleDrive is nice in that regard.

As far as honest to goodness collaboration sites, I've only used Indaba.com and haven't actually used it for collaboration, just remix contests, so I can't speak to how effective/easy it is for working together with folks collaboratively. I know there are a couple of other sites that *sounded* good when reading the descriptions, but I couldn't tell you how they are in practice:
kompoz.com
myonlineband.com
cocompose.com

And, yeah, I have to agree with the above poster about someone else hosting the storage...they're being paid for uptime, so generally have the pricier hardware.

Anyway, hope these help and let us know how it goes!

Back