Digital interference/whine when mixer is connected to PC - also shocks

Robby Suavé

I posted about this here years ago, but I'm going to bring it up again with new information because I don't think it's just a matter of it being a mixer and not an audio interface.

I'm no expert, obviously, or else I wouldn't be asking. But I'm wondering if I'm getting interference from something. The way the audio sounds, it sounds like something is interfering with it. Like it's not just a constant buzzing or anything. It's more of a stuttering. It does it no matter how I'm connected to my PC: USB or the red and white audio cables to the mic in jack.

Here's a sample recording. The whine actually gets louder and more high pitched when I begin recording. That seems weird to me too.

Another thing that makes me think it's something else is that I'm getting slightly shocked by the metal pickguard on my guitar. Even if my amp isn't turned on, if I play the guitar, I'll get shocked. What could be causing that? And would it also cause the whining in my recordings?

That is digital noise. I get that exact sound when I have my internet computer input on with my Mackie Big Knob. Not sure how to fix that. I don't use both computers for recording or live use.

Sorry I am no help other than knowing the sound.

Yes that is the classic USB mixer 1kHz and all the harmonics whine!

You cannot prevent it but you should be able to push it down into the noise floor.
Windows Sounds menu will allow you to set the recording level, my bet it is at 100%. Set for 5% or even less.

You have probably already have been told that a decent $100 audio interface will be better and free of this crap?

BTW. I cannot now attach .png files. I am certain HR allowed this up to a few days ago? Right Mark analyser defaults to save as .png and I have posted shedloads of spectra in the past.
I had to ScrnPrnt this one then save it in Paint as .jpg!

Dave.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 0
If your mixer has a 'USB volume' control (my Mackie does), you can turn that down and at a certain level the whine will disappear. NO USB control, then all you can do is turn your Windows input down as Dave suggests.

SHiockign form yoru guitar is not good - either your amp is f*cked or your house circuitry is not grounded correctly. Have you tried with the amp plugged in somewhere else? If you have and it still happens, then its the amp. Get the amp or circuits fixed before you get fried!

I don't think it's my amp because it happens with other amps too. It very well could be the circuitry though. I have not tried it somewhere else. I need to do that. If it matters. my amp is plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall. Do you think that would matter?

I don't think it's my amp because it happens with other amps too. It very well could be the circuitry though. I have not tried it somewhere else. I need to do that. If it matters. my amp is plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall. Do you think that would matter?

Um yeah... Get one of these things to make sure your electrical outlet is grounded/wired properly. Do it now!

Extech ET15 Three Wire Receptacle Tester from Cole-Parmer

That was just the first link I pulled up. You can get them at any hardware store. Maybe even Wallmart

Okay. I got a tester today. According to it, the wiring is "correct." So it's not that. I thought it would have been. Any other ideas?

Back