Digi 001....a purchase mistake??

zip

I posted this on the digidesign audioforum...

...please offer your perspectives...this scares me.

"I'll be honest...I've been reading a ton of these Digi001 posts and they are making me uneasy. I can live with 24 tracks but more would be nice. So - I can bounce.
What REALLY worries me is I'm a PC user and I hear about no Win2000 / XP support... I currently use 98SE but I hear XP is more stable. It also sounds like a reduced number of available plug-ins for PC's vs MAC...

And what's all this about purchasing upgrades?? You mean if they upgrade LE to be XP compatible I have to buy more software??

Am I making a big mistake?? If so - someone please stop me! I have heard the results from the 001...great sound. I've heard about ease of use...sounds great. But am I going to kick myself in the posterior??

$800 is a big investment for me.

zip >>"

Is this going to be a mistake I regret? I'm not going for a PRO studio 2" tape sound here and I understand that - but what about the rest of this...

If you had a mac I'd get the 001. For Pc you can get N-tracks and a good sound card for less then the 001. I like pro tools in general. Yes it seems like alot to invest in but if you look at all you get its very small for the amount of cool shite you can do.

There are a lot of people who like the Digi 001 but I am afraid that, at leats to my knowledge, most of them are Mac users. :(

I think the Digi 001 is very expensive ( then again it is much more expensive over here - £700, about $1000).

I have a Digi001 and will tell you the story of getting it to work. First, I am running Windows ME and when I bought the Digi001, I found out that the version of ProTools LE that ships with the board is the wrong version. I had to register and wait for about three weeks to get the new CD.

After I received the CD, I discovered that the motherboard in my computer, (Celeron with Intel Chip set, which should have worked) would not work. I then put in an ASUS motherboard, which had to be special ordered, and it took off.

In addition to the new motherboard, I needed a new power supply and case because the one I had was too small. In the process, I added a second 60GB harddrive, because I saw on the website that the song files should be saved on a large secondary drive and the software should be on the main drive. (I was not going to take another risk.)

Through the whole ordeal, Bruce Paine, support guy at Digidesign, was really helpful and went out of his way to FedEx me a second authorizer diskette, when I found out that the one I had was damaged.

Now that it is running, I think that it is great. Very easy to use and the 1.4mHz motherboard makes everything run really well.

Through it all, I ended up spending about $800 for the Digi001 and another $800 building the new computer.

I have not yet tried to interface it with the ADATs in my main studio. I have it in another room and am thinking about keeping it that way since it is so easy to start up and just record. I also recommend that you use get a mixer to use with it since it only has two preamps. I made some patch cords and connected it to an old Alesis mixer that I had.

I hope that this helps.

I recently purchased the Digi 001 system and don't regret it a bit! I'm running it on win98 with no problems (I had some trouble running the demo session that came with it, but other than that...no problems.) I would say go for it...I don't think you'll be disappointed! I think the price is $749 at shreve audio

I ordered mine from B & H for $769 and it was here in 2 days (I was happy about that!!!)

There are a lot of plugins that you can use but they are $$$EXPENSIVE$$$. BTW, have you downloaded ProTools free?

My Mileage

Wow... 3rd post in about 6 months.... Im outdoing myself...:)

I have been running Pro tools Le (Digi 001)....What I can say is I have had a flawless running with this set-up..

I am using Windows ME 1.3 PIII 512 Mg RM 20 gig INTERNAL
30 Gig external Seagate Baracuda.. (Also known as the Glyph Project X...)

Before I got the Glyph rackmount HD I could only get about 20 Tracks.... that is still to this date that has been my only problem so far in 6 months....

Problem was fixed...Now with that HD I get All of the Tracks and about 60 Plug-ins... and 15-20 can even be big Waves Plug- ins.. All at once..

All of the requirements are clearly stated... On the website, and I even got a page of them in my 001 box when I bought it...
You have to have an Intel Chipset.... and a Asus Configuration MB... and the required system strength

I knew this going into the purchase and was ready for it....

I spent about $239 (rough est.. can't remember that far back) on a new mother board and chipset.... and
Everything worked perfect.. (except for lack of Hd which I fixed by buying the Glyph.... I could have just spent $150 and bought an extra 20 gigs just to keep seperate for storage... it would have worked fine.. But I chose to buy the recommended drive..

Problem free Totally...

It is awesome and the free Plug ins you get with it... about 15.... are excellent quality.... and considering they are free thats even better.. (Of course my waves gold bundle blows them out of the water..):)

The Zit faced Kid at my local music store always busts my chops about running PC.... and I bust his chops right back about running the same flawless system as him.... And my Pc costing HALF the price of his mac....

Summary..
If your going to spend the money go 001.. there is no comparison to it for the price.. especially not N-Track....

If you want to save Money and go the economical route then go to N-Track or PT Free or some other thing like that...

Research and make sure you know the requirements ahead of time... So many people bitch about all the requirements... I don't understand this because when i buy something thats worth $1000 I research, and I knew ALL of the requirements before purchasing... (And it only took 10 minutes on Digidesign.com)... I didn't spend hours and hours researching...))

My Digi Cd was perfect, no errors... But I probably got a later version that the guy above who had problems... I have heard that at one time there were problems...

My Free DVerb Plug in Authorizer disk did not work though..... I called them and they sent me one in the matter of 1 week....

It's a $200 Plug in, you get for free so Im not going to bitch about waiting for the proper disk in the mail...

Good Luck... Talk to you all again in about 6 months...:)

Joe

I agree. If you do your research UPFRONT, you will not find yourself disappointed.

It is my most humble opinion that you can get it to work if you have done your homework and are willing to purchase components that are tested.

On the Mac vs Pc question: I have it set up on both and they both work really well. You will find some plugins only available for the Mac version, however. I guess this is the only downside I can see in the PC realm.

Good luck!

C

Damn...it's VOXVENDOR!!!

Thought I'd never hear from you again in these parts!! ;)

To all who responded thank you very much. This is a HUGE decision for me as I am thinking about both present and future. I WILL buy a MAC next time (sorry VOX :)) since audio is my main use in a computer.

I do have what digi calls the minimum requirements...but BARELY. I am not sure about the ASUS motherboard however...guess I'll have to crack open the case. I do realize I will soon need to upgrade my HD since it is small but from what I am reading I can sqeak by until I can afford one. (10gig 7200 / 66Mhz drive)

I can't really affort to purchase a motherboard and hard drive along with the Digi...hence my quandry.

What I can say is I know people who have the Digi and love it. I can also say I have heard the results from a Digi and love them. Now it just boils down to what I can afford economically now and what I thing will best meet my future needs...

I love to hear the opinions...keep em' coming!!

zip >>

Another cool thing about ProTools is that it's always upgradable! I was really considering buying the Roland Studio Pack before I got the Digi 001, but the more I thought about it I was like "what a sec...if I get this I'm just sorta stuck with it..." So of course I didn't buy it! Another thing I was amazed by was the great layout of ProTools! I felt more confident working on ProTools for 5 days than I had with other programs I've been working on for years (cakewalk, vegas, other various freeware...) Definitely check PTfree if you haven't done so already!

i used to use pro tools 5.1 its very good. i never tried the free version. but por tolls doesn't work under Xp :( so i'll stick to Nuendo and Cubase.

i know a few people with the digi 001. if you use a mac.. you will almost never have a problem , but a pc you have to use 98se or ME to get it to work right. most of the guys i know that use the digi 001 use a pc and Logic platinum 4.7(4.8 upgrade also) it seems to work fine. i would rather get a 2408MKII though over it. or something like the aardvark Q10 they are all around the same price.

does the Q10 have the soundcard in the interface - like the MOTU units?? I like that feature.

zip said:
does the Q10 have the soundcard in the interface - like the MOTU units?? I like that feature.
to tell you the truth i don't know. you may want to research that. i have always liked motu and they have XP drivers

I'll take a look into the Q10 on the net...

...I did find out only the 828 MOTU has the soundcard built in. The other motu's you can built upon. More decisions!

I am leaning toward the 828...for now. LOL!!

thanks, zip >>

Back