Differences between DAW programs...

mikerofone

All hardware aspects being equal (mics, preamps, computer) are there significant differences in the quality of sound yielded by the various software programs (Pro Tools, Cubase, Cakewalk, Garage Band, Ableton, etc...)? Or are the differences simply the feature sets of each and the way the interfaces operate?

Quality of sound? No. DAWs (Pro Tools,Cubase, Cakewalk, etc.) are programs. They will not impart a "sound" to what you record. The differences in quality come from what hardware you use to record and how you use it.

Quality of sound? No. DAWs (Pro Tools,Cubase, Cakewalk, etc.) are programs. They will not impart a "sound" to what you record. The differences in quality come from what hardware you use to record and how you use it.

^^^correct answer there^^^

There is something to be said about a DAW that runs at 32-bit float though. I actually do not know if any of the software's mentioned have limitations there. Either way, that is just more headroom to work with. It doesn't actually sound better.

There is something to be said about a DAW that runs at 32-bit float though. I actually do not know if any of the software's mentioned have limitations there. Either way, that is just more headroom to work with. It doesn't actually sound better.

PT was 40 bit fixed point up through version 8 I think.

The above answers are completely correct. No properly built DAW should affect the sound quality in the slightest (and 32 bit FP adds flexibility).

However, let me throw in on extra factor: effects.

As soon as you start adding effects (anything from EQ through compression to reverb) then the DAW does make a difference. Well, not the DAW itself but the software algorithms used in the effects. Just as third party plug ins sound different, the effects included with a DAW can sound very different. No, this isn't a difference in the DAW but, unless you buy lots of third party effects it does affect the sound quality.

There is no difference. The trick is, maximizing on what you can get. For example, Logic Pro X. If you have a mac, and it looks like you do. What happens, is it's sort of like pro tools, if you bought pro tools and then bought about 30 grand worth of plug ins, loops, virtual instruments. Now these are not mediocre instruments. They are the real deal. Apple doesn't have a middle man. Pro tools has a middle man. So with pro tools, they can't just hand you all these plug ins, virtual instruments, etc. Because they rely on other companies who sell those and you invest in pro tools and whatever tool you buy from another company that works in pro tools.

With something like Logic, that still happens. For example Logic doesn't come with superior drummer. But that's only like 200 bucks. But you don't have to go out and spend 2 grand to have the same amount of virtual instruments. Don't let the 2 grand fool you. They aren't exactly so much higher quality like you might think. It's just a company making money.

Since apple, is only making money for apple, they'd have no reason to do that.

As far as it sounding different, technically they are not supposed to sound different that depends on your sound card, your mic, all of that. BUT with that being said, there is an engine that runs the DAW, and if your ears are trained you can tell for example an improvement in sound quality in logic pro x and logic pro 9. Now if you listen to a song in 9 and then listen in x you might not hear it. Because it's subtle.

But there is a sound engine that runs the DAW. Even though I've seen people, even professionals claim that they all have the same sound engine and all these different tools, rather it be logic, pro tools, etc work on this sound engine. But they do improve it as each program goes by.

But it's not noticeable for you to ever know that, nor the listener. And should never be a deciding factor to which one you buy.

You want to buy the one that has the most tools included so you don't got to go spend 20 thousand dollars to get all the tools into the program.That's why Logic is my choice.

Pro tools is the industry standard but if I ask some guy with pro tools to put together a mix that I put together in Logic, if he hasn't spent the money to buy those VST's he can't do it. It's not that pro tools won't record it, it will. But because they built a name for themselves they feel no need to include anything.

One cool program is reaper. Because reaper might not include all the things Logic includes, but people are giving away the tools you need to go into the program on the reaper forum.

If I didn't have the money for logic, or just didn't like the way it looks or whatever, I'd use reaper before I'd use pro tools. Now I would use pro tools if I had the funds to buy whatever vst I wanted. But since I don't, someone has to hand it to me in the reaper forum, or I must have most of them already in the program, which is logic pro x. I'm not saying it has everything. But it has more than expected they'd give you. They are very generous.

you should be more concerned with AD/DA quality than the DAW, the DAW is a blanc canvas and tool to use, they are all equal regardless of what people will tell you.

Back