Did I screw up???

larrye

1. I bought, what I thought was, a new 7200rpm 40 GB Maxtor HD. When I opened it I found a quantum fireball instead of a Maxtor. Did I make a mistake by installing it?

2. I have an asus CUSL2-C MB with P-III 733 HZ processor, and win 98 OS. Right now, I have the new HD as slave to my old 4 GB, 5400 RPM HD. I used the setup utility provided to partition and format new HD. Which, following the recomendations left me with a single partition of 40 gig. I then transfered the information from my old HD to the new HD. Before I remove the old HD and set the new HD as primary master I want to know if this is ok to run it this way? Any information would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Larrye

I don't think you screwed up. I do think that you need to install the os on that hard drive. The only other way would be to fool the computer. Ghost everything from your old hd, c:\ drive, to the new hd, e:\ drive or whatever it is(the slave). Remove the current c drive, put the e:\ drive(slave) into primary slot, don't forget to change the jumpers! If this does not work, you still have the original c drive(old hd) that you can plug in as master and be back to where you are now. I would suggest installing the os on the new hard drive, it all depends on your current situation, if you really need to save all the things on your hd ghost, but going with a clean install is always good. It keeps things off your pc that you don't need or use, or just hog up resources. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

"1. I bought, what I thought was, a new 7200rpm 40 GB Maxtor HD. When I opened it I found a quantum fireball instead of a Maxtor. Did I make a mistake by installing it?"

The only mistake will be if you keep the Quantum, as there have been many failure issues with these as well as other problems. I would return it and make sure you get a Maxtor drive. When they bought out Quantum they packaged up what was left and were selling them under the Maxtor name.

"The Maxtor case tops are symmetrical with no indentations, while the Quantums
have case tops that are shaped asymmetrically and look more like they are
shaped like the heads and innards of the drive. Does that make sense?

Also, the jumpers on the Quantums I've seen are white while Maxtor jumpers
are black, at least so far." (Brian Tankersley)

Shakes and Crisp are both right. Maxtor bought out Quantum, and are selling their drives as Maxtors. I doubt you can return the drive based on this, as far as Maxtor is concerned all the drives they sell are "Maxtors". The only way arround it is to buy only the very newest models (the 80 and 160 gig), they are all Maxtor design.

If it makes you feel any better, my company is using quite a few Quantun drives in our PCs and they seem to work fine.

Also Crisp is right, just copying the files wont give to a functioning, bootable system. You should use a utility like Symantec Ghost that copies a complete image.

The only possible mistake I heard in your post was "I used the setup utility provided to partition and format new HD". If this means that you installed the MaxBlast disk manager on the system, you want to REMOVE IT. And if it fuly installed the only way to remove it is to FDISK the drive and completely wipe it. MaxBlast is a licensed version of a program called Disk Manager, an appalling piece of shit that has killed more disk drives than any virus. If fact it makes any drive far more vulnerable to viruses, since it writes a custom boot block onto the hard drive that you will NEVER be able to repair if it gets virus damaged.

Trust me, use Ghost or a similar product if you want this to be your system drive. But if this is a recording setup I would just leave your old 4 gig right where it is, let it continue to be the system drive, and dedicate your new drive for audio data storage only. There are many reasons you want to do this, search through the archieve and you will find plenty of info.

xcopy will work when you want to "ghost" a drive..

larrye,

I wouldnt worry about the quantum drive, they are reliable.

Good Luck

What a timely thread. I just bought two new Maxtor 40 gig drives and much to my surprise what do I find in the boxs when I get home, Quatums. I'm sure thy'll work just fine but that surprise, surprise shit kind of pisses me off.

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back