Delta series users please comment on latency.

Alchemist3k

Basically I got my Delta 66 Omni Studio last Sat and it seems quite good now that I have got to understand it a little.

However I am concerned about latency. The lowest value I seem to be able to get is 8ms at 44.1 (this seems to be the lowest selectable in the M-Audio Control Panel). This is a bit disappointing! That is almost a second! I have a very good PC indeed and the latest drivers for ME.

What values have you guys got? I am running ME and I dont think there are WDM drivers for the Delta available for that platform yet.

Is anyone running Win2k with WDM drivers? What latency did you guys get?

please comment. thanks.

8ms is eight thousanths of a second.

This issue does bug me a little as well though, if what reaches my ear is 8-10ms late, then that means my playing and recording a track over the track I am listening to is recorded 8-10ms out of sync, no ?

I'd also like to hear some comments on this. Do I match the latency settings in Cool Edit to those in the M-Audio mixer ? Does this at least make the latency consistant, and and enable CE to correct any out of sync tracks ?

I have a feeling I'm a little unclear on this so any help is appreciated.

pAp.

I might be going loopy but a milli second is a tenth of a second? This would be right as when I play my guitar into any music prog there is a VERY noticable delay of just under one second. This makes playing my guitar to any track almost impossible!

This is bypassable if i monitor using M-Audio software mixer (m-audio control panel). If I montor directly using the M Audio control panel and SONAR or Logic Delta there is a delay effect. I though at first I must have a delay FX on the track I was recording then I realised. I witched to software monitring only and there was the delay again. When I used hardware it was instant (the way it shoudl be). the thing that owrrries me is that say I wanted to record a guitar part with a real time effect on it as I was recording if I hardware monitor then srely I wont hea rthe effect as the software is bypassed?

Please help!

ok I am talkling crap above about the 1ms = 1/10th sec. It is obviously a thousandth of a second.

However this doesnt explain that when i monitor via software oi get that noticable and annoying delay. What do you guys do? Just monitor directly via the M-Audio control panel?

I'm no expert but, in reply to a recent post of mine, somebody suggested updating the driver. I just updated it and am able to lower the latency to 2ms @44.1 (according to the window that pops up in the M-Audio control panel when you change the settings). I haven't actually done a test run yet but I though it was worth mentioning here. Sorry if this is an obvious/dumb answer.

WDM Drivers for ME

Alchemist3k,

I have been told that WDM drivers for ME are on the the
M-Audio site but you have to look in the archives because they are not listed in the main drivers list. I have not downloaded them yet because I just got this piece of info. So I can't comment on latency.

I personally wasn't able to find these drivers and there is no mention of a driver archive on the new site. If you manage to get these then please let me know. I hav emailed M Audio tech support to ask if WDM drivers are available and if not when they will be.

The following is the reply that I got concerning WDM drivers. I have had no luck finding them either however.

KaosTheory,

I don't know why M-Audio has their main drivers page set up like they do by not listing WDM drivers under WinME, but they do have them... I had the same problem when looking for them for my Delta66...

On the main driver page, click the link at the top that says something like driver archive... the site is down right now because it says they are updating, so I can't go and check exactly what it is...

anyways go to the driver archive and to the Delta section and under WDM under delta there will be a WDM driver that is for WinME and Win2k... don't use the one thats only for win2k with winme but the one for winme and win2k works great...

good luck...

Haha, 8ms...dude, that's frickin excellent.

Latency is ONLY an issue when mixing, NOT recording. The Deltas, along with most popular soundcards today, allow for direct input monitoring. That is, when you're recording, you hear what's being played instantly. You will see around 1ms or less track to track latency, which isn't referred to as latency, but LAG. I've done tests myself to verify this.

So, lag is not an issue. There was a time when it was, and perhaps there are still soundcards out there today for which lag is a serious problem....but the Deltas are fine, so is RME hardware, etc.

I've found that latency of 50ms or so is just fine for mixing and I do over 24 tracks using Delta ASIO drivers. With one or two tracks I can set the buffers a little smaller, but I don't notice much of a difference. If 8 to 50ms bothers you for mixing, then you need to seriously consider using standalone hardware.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks for pointing it out. How did you know that it was the right WDM driver for WinME? They have all the drivers lumped together with no headings or anything. I quickly got lost. I read the Revision.txt which mentioned something about WinME but other than that I would have never known that was the right file.

Well I searched for Delat series driver under "any OS" and up came a list. There were two WDM driver available and the new site has ticks showing which OS they are compatable with. One driver was for Win 2k and XP only the other had a tick for ME and so I figured that it must be the one.

Back