To Delta 66 users

Booker

Hi,

I'm 99% decided on my soundcard. I'm going to get the Delta 66.
But first I would like to ask those of you who own one already... Are you happy with it? Is it a good buy? Do you feel that you need more in/out puts than you had originally anticipated?

Thanks,
Booker.

I have one and I like it but remember if this is gonna be your only card, you lose cd audio, you'll have no midi synth or midi input, only outs 1/2 have directsound output, the ins & outs are mono, and the cable for the breakout box is short(I just mounted mine on the side of the pc's case). The card doesn't wanna let its outputs be shared as easily as the sblive(get the device in use error). For the price, I think it's the best buy though. Also, I'm pretty sure that if you decide you want the 10/10 later all you have to do is get the 10/10's breakout box cause the cards are the same.

Nodark, the converters on the 10/10 are in the breakout box. the Delta 66 doesnt mention that, so you have to assume they're on the card, not the breakout box. Therefore, there's no way they're the same card. :) If you want to upgrade from the delta 66 to the 10/10, you'll need to buy the whole 10/10.
Who told you they had the same pci card???? If you look at the pictures on the website, you will see the difference immediately.

There are several HR members using the delta66 with success. I have purchased one but can't use it till I build my next DAW . I plan to use it combined with a SB live value for the midi synth /cd player part. Have heard way more good than bad but definitely know there is a difference tween the 66 and 1010 although they are supposed to be linkable. The 1010 being superior in a few ways.

Delta 1010 likely sounds a tad better; I believe its specs are better... but I have a Delta 66 and it sounds wonderful. I'm also using a Creative card -- the SB Live! -- as a synthesizer/sampler, but I have a USB MIDI interface that I use for my keyboard and to control my POD. The AWE card should do you OK for a MIDI inteface and a not-too-bad synth. But for $75 bucks a Live! card lets you use system RAM to load Sound Fonts, so you can get above the limited amount of on-the-card RAM that the AWE cards use for this.

-AlChuck

Thanks for the replies! I think I've been persuaded... Just one last question: Do you think there is a noticeable difference in audio quality between the Delta 10/10 and the 66? Or is it only detectable by those with golden ears?

As for midi, I intend to use my AWE32.

Thanks,
Booker

ALChuck, did you have any trouble with system resources(irq's, dma's & I/O addresses) when you set up both cards on your system?

AC you seem to be moving right along the same path I am as far as DAW. combining things like the SB live, Delta66 and the POD . Didn't you also post about the P3v4x and Celeron combo? I'm using a Soundcraft spirit folio 12 X 4 as an external mixer

MrBoogie,

Whoo boy did I ever. I ultimately narrowed it down to the Highpoint UDMA66 controller on the motherboard; I disabled it and put in a Promise Ultra66 card. But I also ended up getting a new boot drive, the same make (Maxtor) as my audio drive, and then I mucked up the OS so bad while copying from my old boot drive that I decided to reinstall WIn98 and all my apps -- so I really don't know definitively if it was the HighPoint or not! But now it works beautifully.

TAE,

Nope, I didn't post about that board or the celeron -- mine is a PIII and the board is an Abit BE6-II.

-AlChuck

[This message has been edited by AlChuck (edited 07-04-2000).]

i always found it strange that soundcard makers don't put a list of resources, on the back of the box, that the card will need. This information is as important as anything else about the card! I mean, so what if the card does 24/96 with a 120db dynamic range if you can't make it work on your system.
The problem I've had is that these newer consumer cards use LOTS of resources. You can't even find this information on their websites...at least I never did.
Is this a strange request? Why don't they do it?
As far as I know, a sound card will use the same amount of resources(irq's, dma's, etc..) regardless of what system it is used in.

Not on any of my systems. Windows 98 picks the IRQ(slot doesn't matter), or I can pick it manually. But that isn't really the issue. The concern is HOW MANY irq's a card will need, and HOW MANY dma channels a card will need, etc....
If I want to buy a card and it needs 2 or 3 irq's, 2 dma channels, and mucho base addresses, I'd like to know this BEFORE I buy it. I may only have 1 irq available. The TB Montego I had, used more resources than any card I've ever used before. I doubt it would work along side the Delta 66 I ordered. I'm gonna try out an SB Live value. AlChuck, do you happen to know how many resources the SBLive uses?

i use a delta 66 and a sound blaster live for midi on an amd athlon platform. they both work fine side by side and went in without a problem. as for it being a good buy, for $299 it certainly is and since i primarily record by myself i only manage to use 3 inputs at a time. It also has an spdif input which is handy also if you have an external device which is spdif. I use it with a zoom rfx 2000. I had an event darla 24 before and it works the same.

MrBoogie,

The SB Live uses one IRQ (well, two if you leave the SB16 DOS emulation enabled), no DMA channels, and a bunch of I/O Base addresses.

I basically agree with you about the often-times mysterious information that should be explicit that you have to dig around for, especially before you buy...

Back