Delta 66 replacement

Russellc

I have been using the Delta 66 but am unhappy that it does not have the capability to connect to my computer's CD player. Any suggestions for something similar to The Delta 66 that has such an option?

I'm not sure what you mean by connect to your cd-player. I'll guess you mean connect for playing audio cd's from your cd-rom? The best solution in this case would be to buy a cheapo soundcard, pretty much any one will do. Creative Labs Ensonic, or Soundblaster. They have connectors for this. Keep the delta for recording, and the secondary soundcard for CD audio if you must.

Then again, this may be not what you mean at all.

Actually, there's a cheaper solution. There's a free add-on available for Winamp that allows you to pipe the CD-audio sounds through to the Delta without a hard-wired connection. Also, I believe the new Windows Media Player has a similar capability.

That's interesting Alchuck...in fact that would be a *great* solution because you'd avoid the D/A converter on the CDROM drive. You say that media player has this feature without any plugins?

Slackmaster 2000

Hmmm, I hadn't tried it until you asked (heh heh) ... but it turns out to be easy, despite the lack of clarity of the Help system on the issue. In the CD Audio page of the Options dialog box, there's a checkbox labeled Digital playback. If this is enabled and the hardware supports it, it uses that. I have my Delta set as the default WAV playback device, and when I check this option, Media Player 7 plays the CD audio disc through the Delta rather than through the Sound Blaster.

I use winamp to play my CDs through my Delta 44, the name of the plug-in is "CD-Reader" and can be downloaded from the winamp page (I don't quite have all the details here). Took some futzing with the settings to get it to work (had to set output device to some outputs on the Delta Card or something like that!), but now my CDs sound amazing through the 44 and into my Tannoy Actives.
BTW, I notice a slight clicking/popping sound when I go from one track to the next while listening to my CDs through winamp. Any one else notice this?
Good luck!

-Evan

PS - Love my Delta 44 with N-Track!

Back