Delta 1010LT and Edirol DA-2496

Promythia

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this question because apparently M-Audio doesn't have a clue. I have an Edirol DA-2496 that I'm probably going to have to upgrade, but I thought I'd check with you guys to see if you can help.

I just recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro x64. The DA-2496 has been discontinued by Edirol, and upon contacting the Japan department of Edirol, they said it was probably 'unlikely' they'd develop a 64-bit driver, thus making the DA-2496 useless for x64. I hate to part with it because it has never once given me issues, and it has one of the lowest latencies (if not the lowest) in it's ability and price range.

So I've been shopping and came across the Delta 1010LT, which has 64-bit drivers. Upon further inspection, it has the same exact jack (looks like a serial input) as the Edirol DA-2496. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll fit it, but will it recognize the outputs on the Edirol DA-2496 interface?

I call up customer service at M-Audio. The guy gives me and unsure 'It shouldn't be a problem'. Not satisfied with that, I call tech support, at which point I get an unsure 'I... don't... think so....?' He went on to say the functions might be assigned to different pins on the 2496, than on the 1010LT.

So that's my long winded story. Has anyone that has the Delta 1010 or 1010LT (I think it's the same card), tried connecting it to a different interface? That'd save me a bunch of money. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
There's no doubt in my mind that it'll fit it, but will it recognize the outputs on the Edirol DA-2496 interface?

Absolutly not. Just becasue its DB style connector does not mean they are the same connection. Why exactly did you upgrade to x64? There is hardly any support for it and short of Sonar, no one makes native software for it

The hardware will certainly be different. The 1010LT connector is for a set of audio cables, not a breakout box that may contain additional electronics.

However, all the signs are that the DA2496 was designed by and uses drivers from M-audio!

It just might be possible to fool the M-audio driver to work the DA2496 as I'm pretty sure it has the same pci controller chip (Envy24). I've heard of people using other companies drivers with other cards based on the same chip.

I was thinking the same thing about using an M-Audio driver, but no luck. Everything that supports 64-bit processing from them is either USB/2.0 or Firewire.

If anyone knows of any 64-bit drivers based on the Envy24, I'd much appreciate knowing about it. Or what other cards are based on it for that matter.

Thanks!

The current M-audio Delta WDM driver supports both 64 and 32bit Windows. As used for the Delta1010 thru to Audiophile2496.

Esi, ST-audio (Hoontech) & Terratec cards NOT capable of 192Khz also use the Envy24.
192Khz cards use the Envy24HT which has enough differences, I doubt it could ever work.

I once managed to get some features of an Audiophile2496 working with an E-si driver, but I couldn't get all the channels working - things could be wired differently on the card. I saw some talk of changing or reprogramming (flashing) the eeprom that holds the cards config and ID info. It's an 8pin device in a socket on some boards. This chips info is how the pc knows what make and type of card it is and how the driver knows what to do with it.

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm just going to go back to XP until 64-bit OS's start to become more main stream. I hate to part with my DA-2496 because it's a great machine, has some of the best benchmark results in it's feature/price range.

I talked to Edirol again and they haven't received a definitive 'yes' or 'no' from the Japan office, so I'll hold out for a while. I was looking forward to checking Sonar x64, but I can't justify spending almost a grand for a comparable card.

Thanks for all the help!

use edirol da-2496 with windows 7 64 bit

necro'ing this thread.. lol

just a quick quote frm what i just read of soundonsound's article on the EDIROL DA-2496.. "As soon as I first launched the DA-PCI Control Panel, I recognised it as almost identical to the one used by M Audio for their soundcards; apparently, although Roland designed all the hardware including the PCI soundcard, they contacted M Audio to write licensed drivers for them. This makes sense, since M Audio already have huge experience in this area, but it's important to remember that although the software looks the same, the hardware it controls is completely different -- you can't for instance download and use M Audio's Delta 1010 drivers with the DA2496."

ATTENTION ANYONE ELSE WHO OWNS AN EDIROL DA-2496
Apparently using the Roland RPC-1 PCI card will allow u to use your box with WINDOWS 7 64 BIT SYSTEMS
rpc-1.jpg

i was going to post a link to more info on this but google it and u will probaly find this info as i have. i just tried to post this and i got a msg saying i cant post links to other site

but i found it on the cakewalk + roland forums
do a search for "Roland RPC-1 64 bit driver for Windows 7"

the page i found this info on was "forum.cakewalk.com" and then slash and then "tm.aspx?m=1880825"

this page shows the actual item u need: rolandus.com " and then "/products/details/344"

i've seen this card posted on ebay for around 60-80 dollars.
and it's claimed by roland to be cross platform.. so it may even make your EDIROL DA-2496 work on mac with no driver necessary.. (im guessing)

forums.m-audio.com + "archive/index.php/t-3685.html" has more info on this

also if u need a cord , apparently:
"need to lengthen your R-BUS cable ?
go to Staples and buy a 25 pin printer cable extender for 10 bucks. Despite Roland's claim to the contrary, they are the same thing."
another quote i saw on another forum called vsplanet or something:D

Last edited:
Hello Supernova,
Have you tried this yourself? I have 4 DA2496's and was promised by Calvin Banks at MAudio support that a driver would be availavble in 2007 and still waiting.

Don't know about the 64-bit issues, but yes, the Delta 1010, the DA-2496, and the RPC-1 all use the same chipset (ICE1712), so if the driver matches the device (no guarantee there), then the same driver ought to work for all of them, in theory, assuming they're configured similarly on the other side of the chip. Same goes for a wide range of other M-Audio PCI cards, though obviously you can't use inputs and outputs that aren't electrically wired to anything. :)

Hi, I own an Edirol DA-2496 and I love it. I wanted to update my PC to Windows 7 64 bits, read for so much time and finally I've got my Edirol working in W7 64 bits. For those that have been asking if is there any drivers, or if they need an RPC-1 card, I can say mine is working with its original card, no additional hardware is needed to make it work on W7 (32 or 64bits). Well, there's a little 'problem?', and the thing is that you are going to lose your Edirol internal midi capabilities, but with 14 eur (or more if you want) in Thomann you can buy an USB to MIDI adapter (not tested yet) to have you midi secction working again.

The only thing I've done is installing the MAudio Delta 1010 W7 Drivers. It's not so complicated but you need to know it. I'll show how I've done it:

1.- Install the drivers .exe file from the M-Audio web page (I don't know if I can write links to other pages here), and then the Delta logo will appear in the task bar.
2.- Go to Device Manager and right click in the yellow question icon of the 'Multimedia Card' (our Edirol card)
3.- Click on 'Update Driver'
4.- Click on Search for the driver in the PC
5.- Click on Choose from a device list in the PC
6.- Click on Show all devices
7.- Search for the Manufacturer M-Audio on the left side
8.- Select the 'Delta 1010' driver on the right side (NOT LT)
9.- Click Next

Then the driver may be installed, and if you open the Delta Control Panel will be the same as the Edirol Control Panel. Now you can Open you favourite DAW (I use Nuendo 4.3) and go to VST Conections to activate the 8 inputs and assign each input to each Edirol channel.

I've made the procees in this way and is working for me, tested on both W7 32 and 64 bits. Now I can manage up to.. 192GB! of RAM :listeningmusic:

Well, I hope this will help someone in my same situation.

Maybe Roland has left us, but we still have our DA-2496's to record for many more years!!!!!!!!!!!!! :guitar:

Please, comment your results if you want. Thanks!!

RPC-1 form factor?

Is the RPC-1 PCI, PCI-X, or PCIe?-I'd like to know because I have a DA-2496 and I love it and want to keep using it. You all may already know this, but you CANNOT use the DA-2496 with a dual processor system-Thanx!-Ciao!

Thanks for the new Windows 7 info! Im goint to try it, and if it works for me it will add alot more performance from my daw. and as for using the DA-2496 with SMP, I have a dual opteron 64 dual core system running 4 DA-2496 cards. I am currently still on driver 1.02 as 1.12 destroys mulitcard support.

Is the RPC-1 PCI, PCI-X, or PCIe?-I'd like to know because I have a DA-2496 and I love it and want to keep using it. You all may already know this, but you CANNOT use the DA-2496 with a dual processor system-Thanx!-Ciao!

apparently the card that the da-2496 ships with .. in fact.. IS an RPC-1 only its labeled as a "DA-PCI" but they are identical other then the blue vs black colouring on the db-25 connector..
Screen shot 2014-10-22 at 3.55.56 PM.pngScreen shot 2014-10-22 at 3.58.35 PM.png
another note:
the db25 connector physically matches that of the original Delta 1010 (2 rows of pins) but not the Delta 1010LT... (3 rows of pins)
but this is of little use as i dont think it uses the same pinout..
that is.. u cant for example take a complete Delta 1010 rack unit + attach it to an RPC-1 ...
and vice versa.. take a complete DA-2496 and attach it to a Delta 1010 (non-LT) pci card...

at least.. im guessing this is impossible..
if someone owns both systems. perhaps they can verify their compatibility/incompatibility.
Screen shot 2014-10-22 at 3.59.42 PM.pngScreen shot 2014-10-22 at 4.12.01 PM.png

BUT!!!
i think that the RBUS delta card would be 100% compatible with an RPC-1 Card.. and i think the existance
of the RBUS card is the reason for the compatibility between the delta drivers + the rpc-1 card
http://web.archive.org/web/20021222150743/http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/rbus.php
the rbus is basically a delta 1010LT in that it does 10 inputs + 10 outputs, "full duplex" recording
i think the pin out of this card would be compatible with the roland, after all Roland created RBUS i think?
the R in Rbus stands for roland! there must have been some hand shaking between the two companies
roland got m-audio to make the drivers for their own hardware.

rbus_lrg.jpg

Attachments

• 178035d1276390699-new-clock-delta-1010-pci-card.jpg
    178035d1276390699-new-clock-delta-1010-pci-card.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Has there ever been a pci-e rbus card? I'm upgrading soon but don't want to leave my da2496 redundant. I have other interfaces I can use but I love my edirol!

I'm not holding my breath as I've searched a lot but thought someone else might know of something I may have missed.

Has there ever been a pci-e rbus card? I'm upgrading soon but don't want to leave my da2496 redundant. I have other interfaces I can use but I love my edirol!

I'm not holding my breath as I've searched a lot but thought someone else might know of something I may have missed.

No, but there is the Prosonus V-fire which gives you two R-BUS interfaces connected by firewire.

Nice one jinkies! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for one of those! Quite hard to come buy though I imagine.

I'm making do with my motu 8pre for the moment. It's ok, my edirol was a lot more solid though, even running on forced drivers! Lol. Yeah, motu and windows have never had a good relationship :P

I have found this...
StarTech.com PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card - PCIe to PCI Converter Adapter with Low Profile / Half-Height Bracket - Ebuyer

A couple of years ago I was thinking about one to run an extra M-A 2496 but then got very poor. I have recently got an Asus MOBO with 3 PCI slots so I am covered.
At the time I tried to found out if the adaptor would work with a sound card but to no avail. Might just get one one day and see?

Dave.

Back