Delta 1010 What do you think?

MercyfullMusic

I'm thinking of getting the M-Audio Delta 1010. Anyone have one? What do you think? Will it work with Windows 2000? I use 98 right now but am thinking of switching to 2000 to get more out of SONAR's WDM drivers.

I have a 20 bit card right now. Will there be a big difference in quality?

1010 is a great card....if it will be better than your 20 bit card depends on what 20 bit card you have....if you have one of the Echo 20bit cards, they are nice and the difference wont be that substantial...you will notice it, but it wont knock you offf your feet....

are you recording at 24bit now with your 20bit card?.....

My Card...

I have the Midiman DMan 2044 PCI Card (4 in 4 out breakout box). Yeah I am recording at 24 bit, but only playing back at 16 because Cakewalk won't play back at 24 with my card. It's a good card, I'm happy with it. The reason I ask is that it seems what it is missing is not more sampling but just the warmth of analog, so I am trying to get some good tube mic preamps to fix that. A tube mic as well. The main reason I want the 1010 is just to have 8 tracks instead of 4.

a good tube preamp (or a good non tube preamp for that matter) will go farther in getting that "warm" sound you are after than going to 24 bits.....any chance you get to introduce some good analog gear (preamps, compressors) into you signal chain, the closer you will come to that "analog" sound.....

and if you are loaded with $$$$ to spare, look at the Aardvark Q10..
http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/

you get a free SE 2000 mic with it for $749....8 nice preamps with phantom power....more features than the Delta 1010 also(effects inserts, headphone outs)......

"sound better" is subjective.....In my opinion, the Aardvarks converters and preamps are every bit as good as the Deltas.....

Delta Omni Studio VS Aardvark Direct Pro - DELTA
Delta 1010 VS Aardvark Q10 - AARDVARK

with converters pretty much in the same league and preamps in the same league also, it comes down to bang for the buck....IMO, the Q10 has everything the 1010 has PLUS 8 high quality preamps, headphone outs, and auxillary channels for only $250 more at most......

there was another thread ive been reading and responding too and c9 did some tests and found the delta1010 to be on par and above in areas over the sta c port and some other card ok this is a different package but subjective or not id rather wait till i see test results or see if someone can test this gear

as for on board mic pres you might do better to save the dollars and buy real mic pres rather then buying something as an all in one deal same old stuff you always learn cut costs and corners now pay for the stuff later there is some good bang for buck stuff out there of course ive seen more evidence of this in relation to microphones of late but there are still deals to be had if you look wait and watch

how many people have been guilty of buying something only to find its lacking somewhere when they get it home everything looks nice on paper thats how the advertising people make so much money

i guess in the end you must be happy with your own purchase so look carefully and buy smart its sometimes better to hold of then spend up quick and other times its better to spend then be too tight good bargains are missed this way too.

trebles , all of your points are valid....

yes you can get better pres, but $250 more than the delta 1010 for 8 pre's that, IMO, sound as good or better than Mackies....of course if you are doing vocals, you want at least one nice channel strip, but a little over $31/pre for these is a steal, plus headphone outs, plus auxillary channels....

gidge ive not seen any prices on the sta systems 3 but if that can be had for a good price and its db rating is better then the delta 1010 hmmmm this unit may be the unit to look at on paper it looks very nice indeed iknow nothing on the ardvark accept for the brief time i spent looking it over it looked ok as well

I'm with Gidge on this. If I was going to go $599 on the 1010, I'd throw out another $150 on the Q10. Lot more features from a company that's been doing this for a while.

The only place on line I could find the system 3 was the limey hoontech site listed at 986 pounds. So what's 986 pounds? :confused:

i guess if you need the convertors go for it the convertors i have to use are higer rated then those cards so thats really not my issue my issue is being able to run as many lines as i can into my pc 16 would be nice through the one box but im yet to find anything im happy with for the moment anyway check the db rating of those convertors before you leap and good luck with whatever you decide to do

MM,

possibly, just remember that all 8 inputs of the 1010 are line level....you will need preamps on each channel(or a line level source) to take advantage of all 8 channels.....

the Audio Buddy isnt quite up to notch with the Q10 preamps, but they are still good...that are the beginning design that went into the DMP2 and Omni preamps......1010 has 0 preamps.....

save your money and get a presonus m80 sure its gonna cost you but you also then have 8 great mic pres in a few rack spaces

what do you want a pile of equipment for ebay january sales or a good piece of gear that will grow with you im not here saying anyone is right or wrong if its a budget your on the best thing you can do is not buy till you can buy quality this will always take you further then pulling your hair out on cheap solutions

we all want great sounding recordings and wonderfull audio and it aint gonna happen on a budget or overnight so your better served to restrain your purchases untill you can save for one good piece of equipment then add to it as you go i dont cut corners any more ive learnt by to many posts ive read people singing the dud equipment blues to many times but in the end its your money all i can say is spend wise :-)

just to let you know the delta 1010 is $499. and at that price can't no card tough its quality. i did do a test on the card along with a staudio c-port and a echo layla. the delta was over all the best when it came down to it. so with the delta 1010 being $499(500) you can get a nice little preamp and spend as much as the q10. my friend has a 24.96 aardvark, the preamps arn't as good as you would think....

Don't shoot...

Greetings,

My brain is clouded right now, so while reading this over something didn't make sense.

If you got the D1010, and say wanted to mic a whole band live (4x drums, 3xguitars, 1x vocals), would you just get a mackie mixer for preamps? Or is there some other decent 8 channel preamp stand alone system out there that is cost effective?

Personaly, from just web pages, forums, and specs, i always liked the Q10. But as for the all-in-one thingy not being so good, how would you go the other way? an 8 channel converter and 8 channel preamp? So the D1010 with a ???

SirRiff

everyone knows if you buy something you wait for the sales save the cash talk the hard talk then walk with the product at the price you want it at ive done it plenty of times and i continue to do so
no one is saying quality is cheap but its either buy what works or dable with what does half the job and after you have pulled the remaining hairs on your head out there is always ebay the dumping ground of the universe where you can sell your old toys once every 6 months.

pay peanuts get monkeys how else can you put it

then you see the same people coming back oh i bought this and that and it was said to be great i got ripped off the product is a dud etc etc look and listen before you leap

it aint cheap for nothing B U Y E R B E W A R E

Back