Decisions...decisions (audio interfaces)

Barbis

Hi all.

I'm having big trouble deciding what audio interface to get for my home studio project.

I'm currently looking at the following, but not sure if they will live up to what they should (judging on reviews i've read)

M-Audio Omnistudio USB
M-Audio Quattro & Omni add-on
M-Audio Delta 44/66 with Omni add-on

ST-Audio C-port.

I really like the idea of the USB connection, so i can use it with laptops etc, but I'm not sure if it's USB 2.0 or not. I'm sus about data transfer speed with lots of I/O going at once. I've read some bad reviews about it crackling and missing on some systems, but other reviews saying it was great.

Some people have told me the C-port has hopeless drivers, and crashes heaps, and i've also heard that about the M-Audio USB stuff.

Any thoughts on these?

I'm after as many analogue I/O as possible, so I can record drum kits etc. Some mic pres are a plus, but not essential, as I have some pres already.

As I said, USB or firewire would be excellent, but if I have to have a PCI card, it doesn't matter that much. Just means I can't use it with a laptop.

I'm trying to keep the prices down, but trying to get the best I can for the money I have.

Cheers

Liam

I understand that not all have the option of spending $750 bucks, but my opinion is to do what I did. Save up and get yourself a MOTU828mkII.
It’s firewire (can be used w\firewire capable laptop or desktop)
20 Inputs (10 of them analog) (2 with mic pre’s)
22 outputs (12 of them analog)
can be firewire chained to other MOTU I/O’s for future I/O expantion
I love it…

Again, this is just my opinion!

Back