DDR Ram

SillySillyStacy

Ok I have a motherboard that says on the install guide that it supports ....

184-pin DIMMx3 supports DDR333/DDR266 Max up to 2GB (please note that DDR333 can only run at FSB 533MHz)

^^^^ thats what it says in the book

Now, it came with DDR 256MB 400 MHz 3200 and the computer runs fine like that but I know it isnt enough.
I came up with a 512 stick ( 512MB PC3200 DDR400)
I tried to run them together and it isnt working... I switched positions even. Could it be cause they are different size???? Or are they too big for the board to begin with?

is there somewhere in the bios I should be speeding it up?

I would really like to get up to a gig of Ram.
Any puter wiz's offering help?

Thank you
Stacy

Stacy, some RAm has to be installed in pairs, depending on MB. How many slots, total does your MB have? Is the 256, 2 128MB modules, or 1 256 module? Some also require it be placed in a certain order in the slots. Try and see what it says at www.crucial.com . You need to know your MB, or pc manufacturer.

And when you say it doesn't work, does the pc boot up, but not show more RAM, or does it not boot at all? What OS? These all matter when installing new components.

Let me know, and I'll see if I have an answer, or maybe someone else does.
Ed

3 slots total which is also what made me think that maybe they didnt have ot be in pairs. I dont know just thought it maybe. Everything I wrote in my post that they say about Ram is ALL the whole book says about it LOL

the 256 that came with it is 1 stick

It does boot but hangs up at the OS (win XP pro)

I will also check the link you gave me and I have the papers on my MB
it is an AOpen AX4GER I am sure it isnt a great (or maybe even good) board but it is my board hahahahaha

Read on the MB, or in the manual, but with 3 slots, obviously they don't have to be in pairs. (I have 3 slots on my MB, but 2 512 sticks. ) Have you tried the 512 by itself? Just to be sure it works. If it won't work by itself, something is weird. Crucial's site just has one of those things where you punch in your comp, or MB, and it will show what is compatible with it as far as RAM. Try the 512 by itself, and see what happens. With XP, it should recognize the memory without you going into the BIOS.
Ed

You also need to know if the 512 is buffered or unbuffered. Says your Mb can only use unbuffered.
Ed

yes 512 works by itself and I did the survey thing on their site and it says I should be able to use 3200
It didnt say anywhere that I needed to be equal values or anything so I am at a loss.... I know 512 isnt enough and should get to at least 1G

You might have to bite the bullet and just buy another 512. My brother works for Micron( the parent co of crucial), and I can ask what he knows, but won't see him until tomorrow. Most systems let you run odd numbers, such as the 512 and the 256, and not make you go with 2 512, or 256 chips. Yours should, but obviously a problem exists. Just remember, the 512 is better than the 256 you had, and right now RAM is cheap. My DAW only has 512, but I usually only record 1 track at a time, then go upstairs to mix everything down on a different pc. But you are correct, it should work in the config you are trying.
Good luck.
Ed

Well I can hold off on my spending urge till I get the info I need so if you can get any that would be wonderful.... Thank you for your hel so far...

It sounds like the 2 sticks of ram run at different timings. You will need to go into the bios and set the timings for your slowest stick. Put 1 of the sticks in and boot into the bios . Set the ram timings for "by SPD". Write those numbers down. Shut off the computer pull that stick out and intsall the other one. Boot into the bios again and set the ram for "by SPD" like you did on the first stick. Now compare those numbers to the first set of numbers. If 1 of the sets of timings has higher numbers then use those timings.
Here is a good article about ram timings.
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/fma/P4tweakRAM2.htm

One other thing, did you try the 2nd stick in both empty slots, or just one? If only one, try it in the other. 1and 2 are not always next to each other, and it won't hurt to try. If you already did this, I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Stacy, my brother told me that some Mb's don't let you mix memory..ie.. you either use all 512, or all 256. Since yours says it will take 2 gb. it should be new enough this isn't the case, but... You can go to crucial, and they should have a utility up that lets you check what is compatible, and it might give you some info as to what is going on. Might say you have to use all modules the same, or might say that is not the case, and something else is weird.

No more answers at this point, so good luck.
Ed

Thank you so much for the help
The reason I havent posted whats going on is that I was awaiting my video card to re-open the computer.
I changed the manual to by SPD
the number of the 1st (512) was

then the 256 was

I then installed my vid card MX4000, and left both rams in to see what happens... and it seems faster with the 256 in slot 1 and 512 in 2 it see's them both....
So maybe that lil 8mb's it was borrowing for the vid was messing with it.... I dont know but it does seem a lot better
Thanks for the help again....

Stacy

Back