A/DC to USB: Best Path from Focusrite ISA One Digital to USB.

DavidW

Hello – extreme noob here, so thanks for being gentle. I’m looking for a bit of advice on a link in my voiceover home studio signal chain.

From mics (Neumann TLN103/Avantone CV-12) to a Focusrite ISA One DIGITAL (e.g. it features the Focusrite ISA Stereo ADC (24-bit/192kHz A/D Conversion Card for the ISA One Microphone Preamp with AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and ADAT Connectors.

The link I’m looking for is to get from the Focusrite to my DAW (Reaper) run off a 2015 Macbook (no fan, runs silent), which features just one USB-C input, though I have adaptors for other USB.

So, I’m seeking audio interface from the Focusrite’s digital outputs to the Mac’s USB input. As my needs are very simple, I’m looking for something bare bones, but that won't degrade or waste the (presumably excellent) Analog/Digital conversion that the Focusrite ADC is doing.

What can I get away with? Would a Zoom U44 – which has a S/PDIF optical input and USB output – do the trick? Is there something even simpler? - e.g. would just a 9 PIN to USB adapter cable work, or is there something more subtle going on than that?

Thanks so much for your guidance!

David

Ya, B&H is good for many things. Box of film and dark room stuff behind me and a digital recorder to my right

You would think there would be a simple S/PDIF in to USB converter? Not that I can find. However, whilst the digital to USB conversion as done by many AIs* cannot, AFAIK introduce any quality issue there is the VITAL D/A conversion to consider. Matters not one jot or pimple HOW good the ASI and its converters are if you cannot preserve that quality in the monitoring chain you are up a human waste water course without means of propulsion.

So, whist you COULD use the excellent for its money Alesis i02 Express as a S/PDIF input device I think you need rather better on the D/A side?
As ever...NI KA6 or better.

*Not so much these days. Because noobs don't know better, S/PDIF and MIDI are steadily being lost in the projjy studio AI market.

Dave.

hah. I don't think s/pdif quality is a given. I've had 3-party drivers say that I got 16/48 bit-for-bit on my soundblaster live and that was with an old Sinclair RF cable. That receiving card runs at 48 and anything else would be converted. You'll get something : )

hah. I don't think s/pdif quality is a given. I've had 3-party drivers say that I got 16/48 bit-for-bit on my soundblaster live and that was with an old Sinclair RF cable. That receiving card runs at 48 and anything else would be converted. You'll get something : )

As often G...Not a Scooby what you are on about!

Dave.

Thanks, all - I appreciate having all your eyes/minds on this: it seems like I have more or less the idea. Focusrite has its own (additional) interfaces that would do the trick - the Scarlett 18i8 for the optical, the Scarlett 6i6 for the 9-pin, but I'm going to give the U44 a shot and see if it does the trick, since I can use it for lots of other things as well.

Much obliged!!! :thumbs up:

Well, I think it is reasonable. You got what should be capable with the focuswrong digital section. Trying to get something up to its standard would be bigger money. I'd probably try to stick to 24/48

EDIT; and get a decent cable

Anything with more than two inputs such as the 18i8 or 6i6 for voiceover would probably be a bit of overkill. The U44 should do the job and seems like a 'Swiss Army Knife' with the options it has for ins and outs. If you get the chance, make a comparison between using the S/PIDF and just simply using an analog cable connection (may lend an idea of the preamp quality in the U44). Just wondering if the S/PDIF really would make much of a difference. I have an ISA that I run analog and I have no complaints as to the way it sounds.
Did you happen to grab the used one off B&H that I had linked? I see it's gone.

Ya, about everything over here is analog i/o. Digital if I'm playing some game. Of course extra digital channels can appeal to those with a 2x2 interface

Back