DAWs GRRRRRRRRRR!

To add to this:

To add VST's in Reaper, read the section about plug-ins, VSTs. There should be folder that either you created (probably not) or Reaper did. That is where they go. Once they are in the correct folder, open Reaper and it will scan them in. When you add/import the track, select the FX button and select the VSTi, there your voices/sound will appear. Now you just have to wade through until one fits. This takes me more time than actually making the music.
and can you set it up so whenever you use Reaper it'll automatically do that after you've gone thru the first time and chosen your voices?
Or do you have to go thru that process everytime?

" Oh, and for finding MIDIs go to VanBasco.com and use their MIDI Search Engine ...... type in a song or artist and you'll find it id it's out there.
Be ready to go days without sleep as you download a zillion MIDIs. "

Thanks for the link.. will go there... And I hate to give up, because I'm really not a quitter.. I think I can grasp recording & doing, (attempting) mastering of wave tracks. I caught on to my Korg D3200 relatively quick, of course I don't know everything about or on it, but enough to do basic recording.. just thought I would try mastering with a computer DAW.. So much more on there.. And the reason for Midis is there are so many out there I can use for backing tracks, & only have to delete the melodytrack so I can add my own vocals, & instruments.. then save them as Wave or mp3 & burn a disc.. But when I try to add VSTs & they don't work, (because of my ignorance) in assigning them properly, my head starts to hurt.. lol..

and can you set it up so whenever you use Reaper it'll automatically do that after you've gone thru the first time and chosen your voices?

Thanks, yes good question.. Would be nice if the settings, (once I find them) could be saved so they would open each time I open Reaper..

The REAPER manual that I have(V 4.30) is 405 pages.

OK, this is going to come out wrong, but in the E-version, you type in a search. I'm not sure, but sometimes people forget they can search in a PDF.

So if this is obvious, it was not meant to be condescending.

Bob you could probably set up a template. Problem with that is, the voicing may not fit. Like if it is short notes and you select a pad. Pads are have a slow attack, so you would select and instrument with a fast attack and release. On the other hand, a pad would be great for long notes that could stretch over a couple of bars. I think that is why Reaper doesn't auto assign a voice to MIDI tracks.

Now setting up a drum template might work. As most MIDI tracks use the GS MIDI mapping.

Once the VST folder is scanned, Reaper pretty much remembers where it is. Whenever I save and log out, it scans the folder when I open the program again. There is a way to force scan for added VSTs while the program is open.

Audacity isn't what I use for tracking, unless it's just a mono or stereo channel. I can save wav or mp3 files created in Audacity and load them to Reaper.

No, I didn't take it as condescending. Is it just me or am I the only person left on the planet that likes manuals made of real paper? I'd much rather have a manual that I can hold in my hand.

I actually own one, and if I remember correctly, I think I paid either thirty or thirty five bucks for it. The guy that wrote it, Geoffrey Francis, sent me a personal email thanking me for purchasing it, which I thought was nice. That's actually not a bad price if you consider what it would cost to do it yourself.

What a Bullshit talking! Maybe you would stay with one DAW long enough to learn how to us it, before you say any thing.
For example I use Studio On, the most easiest Daw to learning, the workflow is 10 time faster and easy to learn than any of the others
just type Presonus Studio One on YouTube and you get a lot of tutorial how to use it
So don't listening ti this shit Try out your self! A happy user of S1

You even have a free version of it, you can try. I mean FREE to keep

Save everything as a template, or as a 'working project'. Then when you want to build a new 'similar' project, open it, save it under your new working name.
I've got EZ Drummer templates saved as projects (I find it eaiser than loading a template) so that I just open them up, the drums are all miced to separate tracks, and anything else I want to do every time is saved that way as well - panning, sends to a reverb bus, etc.

No, I didn't take it as condescending. Is it just me or am I the only person left on the planet that likes manuals made of real paper? I'd much rather have a manual that I can hold in my hand.
Print it yourself, have Staples, do it, etc. It ain't rocket science.

Thank you PTravel for making me aware of Adobe CS6 trial. I have A1.5 and like it for certain things but would like to see the shiny new jobbie!.....
But! After a bit of trouble registering (seems I already had, yonks ago) I finally got to the Download button: "Unsupported operating system........" My W7 laptop is with my son for a day or two so I am using a P4 XP home but I can't even download in preparation! GRRRRRRR! I mean, data is data innit?

Dave.

Daw

I am sorry to hear people are having trouble with Cubase 7. I suppose it takes Steinberg about 2 update fixes to get these things right for every pc. I have Cubase 6.5 on Windows 7 and it is very stable. I am reluctant to upgrade to Cubase 7 since I heard that it is unstable. I would wait about a year until all the bugs are ironed out. I suppose it is the early adopters syndrome. I found Cubase to be a steep learning curve at first, but once you have made your own templates, set up the sound card correctly and learn audio and fx channel routing all falls into place. It just takes time. Also the quality of the sound card really affects stability, which is why I purchased an RME UFX as I read that the drivers are very stable, which has been proven over the past year of use. Russ. Perth.

I approach cubase as an empty, unpatched studio every time. I love it. Never use templates, either. Might save some XML's or channel settings but that's about it.

It's all about your own personal workflow. ;)

Cheers :)

Back