Which DAW for audiobook recording? Need Punch and roll.

ScottGMac

My foam lined, home studio is finished and the condenser mic and interface have been purchased. So I'm just about ready to get my freelance, audiobook recording business up and running. As soon as the new tax year begins, I'll be ready to invest the rest of my available money in some very important stuff, most especially, my DAW. But here's the challenge. I've been trying to do my homework and investigate which DAW will best meet my needs. Since I'm only recording my own voice and not in need if all the bells and whistles a band might need in their recording sessions, I see no reason to pay the BIG BUCKS to purchase an expensive, full blown piece of recording software, like Pro Tools. Not necessary. But what's really important is the ability to do "Punch and Roll" recording. I'm having a hard time identifying which pieces of software will do this important task. I know Pro Tools can and Studio One can because I watched a UTube video on how to do it with that DAW. But when reading the specs. etc. on the other products, I can't get a feel if they will do this, or not.

So I thought I'd come to this forum with my question and seek your advise. Which Professional (not free) DAW software system would you recommend I purchase that you are positive can do "Punch and Roll" voice recording? Also, but of lesser importance, are Mastering capabilities. After I produce a finished .wav file, sometimes (not always) I will need to do some basic EQ and compression. If the DAW software can do this, without getting too expensive, fine, but it's less important because I can always get free software to just process my .wav file after the bulk of the recording is finished on the DAW.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably "punch and roll" is such an obvious necessary thing which all DAWs do that they don't see the need to specify it in the features list.

Get Reaper. It does way more than you need but you can ignore the features you don't use. It's free to try and $60 to buy. If you don't like the way it works you can always try demos of other DAWs.

Last edited:
Yes, Reaper of course.
I have it but use it not. I am wedded thru' familiarity and indolence to Samplitude and I would urge you to try out the demo of Sam Pro X, you might find its "Object" editing approach suits you. Indeed, you could find the free Samplitude Pro X Silver is all you need.

Dave.

PreSonus Studio One.
It's free and you can punch and roll with it.
Investing in a booth and a whole load of gear to start an audiobook business is a dangerous road to go down until you know that you're good at it, you enjoy it, and you have a reliable and steady income from it.
So much free stuff out there to utilize before you start spending major money on things.

I'd recommend adobe audition if you can find an older CS version of it... either that or the creative cloud version is like $20 a month (or year? can't remember.) Adobe Audition is preferred by radio stations, which aren't far off from your voice over work and would suit what you need better than a musical daw.

Back