Damn you Firepod!!!!!!!!!

Anomaly Design said:
... I tried testing them, speaking into and everything, volume levels bla bla and they work fine. They just refuse to record anything. Anyone have any ideas/things I should try?

So your getting signal from the mics, through the Firepod and out to your monitors. Yes?
Make sure you have the correct source selected in CEP and make sure you have the track armed to record. I'm not familiar with the Firepod, but if its like most other interfaces, it has some type of software control panel- yes? (i.e. like the M-audio stuff has the Delta Control Panel). Make sure nothings muted or clicked in there that may prevent your signal from reaching CEP- try plugin the mics into a differnt channel and recording them - try differnt mics in the same channel (lets isolate your problem)

Also, these are overheads for the drums? What type of mics? are you sure they're not recording- but just at a really low level (since your mouth is alot closer than the drums Im sure your checking maybe misleading) maybe you need to turn up the gain? Are they condensor mics? Is phantom power supplied ( im guessing thats not the prob cause you said they work otherwise)

And does it have the 12v boost in the Presonus control panel like the Firebox has? What kind of level does your mic need to get up to unity?

No way

You wont' believe what happened. I restarted my computer and it just decided to start working :eek: ! I tried recording and it worked great... until I had my band over yesterday.

The recording kept skipping and couldn't keep up... I upped the latency, matched it in CEP, lowered the quality (16 bit instead of 32), lowered the sample rate to 44.1 (also matched that in CEP) and still kept skipping. I'm pretty sure laptops just can't handle that kind of load. And then, after I try to just do 3 channels at the same time instead of 5 (2 guitar mics, 3 drum mics) my f*cking computer crashed! It doesn't work anymore :mad: !!!!

BTW my computer is an e machines
2.4 amd athlon
512 ram
2700hz bus
60 gb hd

It'll take some time to fix, but until then did anyone else have problems like this? What kind of computer do you have/parts do you recommend?

Damn you firepod!!!!!!!!

You're computer should be able to hand it...but this is what I would do:

Up the ram to 1gig
Get at least a 5400rpm HD...heck, just buy a 7200 ide HD and then buy a firewire external enclosure...

You'll be good to go.

i was having skipping problems with my firepod at first, then i realized i have to shut down a bunch of stupid "background processes" and it worked fine. like i turned off my wireless internet card, my anti-virus, spyware blockers, and all kinds of stupid stuff that just runs in the background, then the firepod was working like a charm. just messing around i hooked up 2 guitars, a bass, and 3 microphones to see how well it would record, and i recorded about 6 minutes of random shit and when i played it back, no skips.

I took my firepod & laptop around to our jam. Recorded maybe 10-12 songs, 7 tracks @ 24/48 on a 4200rpm HD, 512MB ram and the thing never missed a beat all night

Still skipping!

This son of a bitch bastard is still skipping! I put in a new fucking computer too! I'm using my desktop solely for recording, I formatted the HD (80g), put in a brand new 1024 ram chip (making a total of 1280mb ram) took at all cards and stuff except firewire, have and no programs or anything on it except windows xp, firepod drivers and cool edit pro. What the fuck!

I'm trying 6 channels at a time (2 guitars, 4 drum mics) at 96khz, 32mb mixing (whatever that is) basically all the highest levels possible with latency at 18ms. I'm thinking its one of two things, firewire cannot support the settings I have (unlikely) or CEP is retarded.

What kind of quality could I expect from cutting the sample rate to 41khz? How about the 32mb to 16 mb? Whats the difference between WDM and IE1394 float? What the fuck is dithering? Sorry for cursing so much but please help I can handle only so much frustration! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Might well be your PC. I had an Athlon 2500+ Barton with a VIA KT600 chipset and GFX5200 graphics card and I couldn't get it to work with my Delta 44. New PC, P4 with Intel chipset, and not a smidgen of a problem. Not a higher spec, just a clash of parts.

noisedude said:
Might well be your PC. I had an Athlon 2500+ Barton with a VIA KT600 chipset and GFX5200 graphics card and I couldn't get it to work with my Delta 44. New PC, P4 with Intel chipset, and not a smidgen of a problem. Not a higher spec, just a clash of parts.

How is that possible? I assume you didn't read the beginning of the read, I explained I was recording on a laptop. Now its a desktop... and it still skips. The major difference between the two is probably the motherboard, and the only thing that would have any effect on that is bus speed. Could this be the problem?

I read the thread a few times before it popped back up today and I reached two conclusions:

- Take it back and get a replacement, failing that it's your PC
- You didn't really know what you were buying or how to use it.

Here's how I reached those conclusions:

There isn't an inherent problem with Firepods because lots of people are using and loving them. They aren't incapable of doing what you want them to do. However, like all PC and recording equipment, they are hardly consumer-friendly products. You have to really understand what you're doing to figure out how to make them work how you want them to. I have a dumbass friend who took his Delta 1010 back to the shop because it had 'untolerably high latency'. Had he worked out how to use the direct hardware monitoring? No. Had he enabled the ASIO drivers? No.

So in order for anyone who is clever with PCs (which I am not particularly), you're going to need to give a lot more detail about your setup, how you installed the thing, your selection of drivers in Cubase's setup, what else is in the PC, in particular what chipset and graphics card you have in case it's a PCI latency thing ... all that kinda stuff. :)

noisedude said:
I read the thread a few times before it popped back up today and I reached two conclusions:

- Take it back and get a replacement, failing that it's your PC
- You didn't really know what you were buying or how to use it.

Here's how I reached those conclusions:

There isn't an inherent problem with Firepods because lots of people are using and loving them. They aren't incapable of doing what you want them to do. However, like all PC and recording equipment, they are hardly consumer-friendly products. You have to really understand what you're doing to figure out how to make them work how you want them to. I have a dumbass friend who took his Delta 1010 back to the shop because it had 'untolerably high latency'. Had he worked out how to use the direct hardware monitoring? No. Had he enabled the ASIO drivers? No.

So in order for anyone who is clever with PCs (which I am not particularly), you're going to need to give a lot more detail about your setup, how you installed the thing, your selection of drivers in Cubase's setup, what else is in the PC, in particular what chipset and graphics card you have in case it's a PCI latency thing ... all that kinda stuff. :)

:confused:

What does this post have to do with anything? I don't see how your conclusions have anything to do with sample rate, mb mix processing, WDM/Asio drivers, IE1394 float and dithering. Can anyone answer my other post?

Anomaly Design said:
:confused:

What does this post have to do with anything? I don't see how your conclusions have anything to do with sample rate, mb mix processing, WDM/Asio drivers, IE1394 float and dithering. Can anyone answer my other post?
That's exactly my point. Listen carefully, I'll repeat this for you:

you're going to need to give a lot more detail about your setup, how you installed the thing, your selection of drivers in Cubase's setup, what else is in the PC, in particular what chipset and graphics card you have in case it's a PCI latency thing ... all that kinda stuff.
I'm assuming you're not so retarded you can't read? :confused:

As I say, despite your incometence, it's more likely your PC has troubles than that it's your fault. So I would still get the Firepod replaced first, then start getting the very newest drivers for my mobo, Firepod and graphics off the net, then start making sure you're choosing the right drivers in Cubase and go from there.

No-one's answering your questions because you're asking the wrong ones. I have tried twice now to help you ask the right ones but you're going to have to make the running here, skippy. Full specs of your PC, the chipset of your mobo and graphics is important, and don't even bother asking again till you have downloaded the newest chipset and mobo drivers. Whether you listen or choose to try and find something or someone else to blame is up to you, and I couldn't care less. :)

My only problem with my Firepod is that whenever I mixdown to the 2 stereo chanels, the recording has alot of Lows in it, not as much as it does when im mixing. I talked to a guy with Presonus and he said "Thats just the way it is". So I just use another program to do a final mixdown and I turn up the highs so it sounds like when I mixed it.

fivesixonesk8er said:
My only problem with my Firepod is that whenever I mixdown to the 2 stereo chanels, the recording has alot of Lows in it, not as much as it does when im mixing. I talked to a guy with Presonus and he said "Thats just the way it is". So I just use another program to do a final mixdown and I turn up the highs so it sounds like when I mixed it.

Haven't experienced this so called issue myself.

Back