Current Athlon pricing...

tubedude

Current pricing on a 1.2 Athlon, 266mhz FSB, is $82. Geezus, thats awesome. Pair it with the Iwill KK266 and you have a stable and great foundation for under $200. Very nice.

Whoa, hey... its been a few months since I looked at prices, I'm tripping... at crucial.com, 256mb of pc133 ram is down to $31!!!
Thats awesome. 512mb is only $69.00, which gets you a gig of ram for under $150. Awesome.

DAMN!!! 30GB hard drives, the 7200RPM's are down to $84!!!

Lets see here, the roll your own package:
motherboard $100
1.2ghz Athlon $82
Hard drive $84
256 Ram $31
Video card apprx $60
Scavenge the CD drive and floppies maybe even the case, out of your old computer, and you have a fab system for $357, give or take. Man, this rocks. I do suggest a rack mount case though, which is still not cheap.

Is crucial kosher?

Have you, or has anybody else out there, ordered from crucial.com? I realize that I'm just paranoid, but I'm always leery of ordering things from a company that I don't know anything about. I have a much higher comfort level buying locally, so that I can go back to them, drag the guy across the counter, and demand my money back when it doesn't work. But, seriously, I would like to know if anyone's had any dealings with them.

I have, they are highly recommended. They are the Micron people, that sell memory to Hewlett Packard and IBM and whoever the hell they sell it to. They sell it to big producers though. I ordered some stuff and got it in 2 days, with free shipping.

Back