cubase or sonar

track pusha

Me and my boys startin a studio, but can't decide what software to get. Cubase sx or sonar. We recording rap and want the best. Holla back.

samplitude is a great package.
but if you want to save some money i use its younger brother called magix music studio. cant be beat for 80 bucks retail or if you find it discounted for 40 bucks. TPusha. search under my name for lots of tips posted in the last year. hundreds of tips.
the other package i recommend you look at is multitrackstudio.com.
as well as another i use called powertracks that does 48 tracks. a few weeks back i recorded some rappers using pwtracks. was an interesting project.

I've used various programs including sx and sonar. I prefer sx, but honestly, samplitude is great. I found it very user friendly, which can be rare with these programs.

Now adays all of the programs are pretty nice. First, if you have ever used one or the other, that is the one I would reccomend so your learning curve will be shorter. Personally, I would recommend Cubase SX. Of all the PC programs it seems to be the most widely accepted and the one that will show up moire in the larger studios should you ever want to finish a project in one. However, all of the programs will have some way of being to take a project cross-platform or to a different system. It is smoother though moving a project form one Cubase system to another, or from Sonar to Sonar etc... In my opinion though, Cubase/Nuendo seems laid out a little more like a real set-up and seems to have the most "pro" feel to it. Samplitude would actually be my next choice followed by Sonar. But even Adobe's Audition is pretty powerfull. Now adays I don't think you can really go wrong.

I'd personally say Sonar (Only because I'm STILL having Emagic withdrawals, and have never been a huge Steinberg fan). But I would also recommend FL Studio. It has definitely grown up over the years, and has a lot of features (especially Rap, Dance, etc. oriented), that none of the big packages feature (or they do, just not as intuitively). And has a lot of live performance oriented features. And it can ReWire with Reason, act as VSTi, in other programs if you upgrade later, and it's only $150.

Try downloading some demos.

Back