Cubase + R16 as AI please help me out

Interventizio

Hi
I'm currently trying to use my Zoom r16 as AI. The software is Cubase LE4.
But: problems!
Computer says the device is not recognized. However, it appears in Control Panel/Sound both as playback and recording device.
Following the R16 AI guide, I try to select R16 as Mackie Control, but R16 doesn't appear in the menu. However, the device appears in the "Device/Vst audio system" and I can select it.
As it is, the R16 is unusable as AI.
What's happening? Anybody can help? This thing is really freaking me out.

Thank you in advance.

I have a friend who has just set up his R16 with the Cubase that came bundled with it.
I'll point him in the direction of your question.

Gday interventizio,
I am the user that rayc referred to.
To use zoom R16 with Cubase
1. Install drivers, which I assume you have done
2. Install Cubase
3. Plug USB cable between R16 and computer
4. On R16 select Audio Interface not Card Reader in display on R16, use controls on R16 select using Enter on R16
5. Select continue. Or reset, I usually do reset just to clear out any buffers etc
6. Open Cubase
7. Select a template if you installed Zoom templates already then use that.
8. Ensure that Mackie settings are correct as you already appear to have done

Sliders on R16 should now be controlling cubase mixer interface (F3 opens mixer)
Good luck
Cheers
Eric

Gday interventizio,
I am the user that rayc referred to.
To use zoom R16 with Cubase
1. Install drivers, which I assume you have done
2. Install Cubase
3. Plug USB cable between R16 and computer
4. On R16 select Audio Interface not Card Reader in display on R16, use controls on R16 select using Enter on R16
5. Select continue. Or reset, I usually do reset just to clear out any buffers etc
6. Open Cubase
7. Select a template if you installed Zoom templates already then use that.
8. Ensure that Mackie settings are correct as you already appear to have done

Sliders on R16 should now be controlling cubase mixer interface (F3 opens mixer)
Good luck
Cheers
Eric

Thank you! Don't know what I did wrong, but now it almost works.
I said "almost" because I have two other problems:
1) no output sound, so it's not possible to monitor. I can see the input is there, but can't hear a thing. Consider I have Win 7 64 bit and I am trying to monitor through some standard computer speakers, not through the r16.
2) Oddly enough, the right part of the r16 (Rew, Play buttons etc.) replicate functions in Cubase, and that's ok. However, the left part (faders and buttons above them) does nothing: I move the faders here, and nothing happens on screen.

Any idea what might be wrong?

When I am using R16 I plug headphones into R16. I imagine it is possible to send output to speakers connected to the computer, but that's not how I do it. There is a monitor out on R16 as you no doubt have seen.
Good luck.
Cheers
Eric

Sorry just saw your second part. Make sure the vst connections are correctly configured. That maps the sliders to the right inputs in Cubase.

Yeah, monitoring should be via the interface, (the signal is converted on the way from the R16 to the computer and comes back out for conversion), so connect your monitor speakers to the R16 or use head phones connected too the R16 as ERic suggested.
When tracking you'll need to monitor via the R16 anyway to minimize latency.

Back