Cubase and midi drums

dudley

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before!

I have Cubase 5 and have been happily using EZDrummer and always been delighted with it.

My bands drummer recently got hold of an older set of Roland V-drums, and I'm looking for advice on the best way to utilise it.

First question, is EZ drummer a reasonably suitable candidate for recording with v-drums? Should I look at something else?

This will ideally be for recording LP drums (hey, if it's good enough for Meshuggah!) but hopefully we'll be giving the finished sessions as individual wavs to a proper engineer for mixing. The mixer in EZ drummer seems very limited to me (fine for demos), and ideally I'd like to have each component, kick snare etc get its own track.

If there's a more sensible approach to recording v-drums with cubase, what is it?

Oh also, the v-drums only have midi out. Will a midi to usb cable suffice, or will we need an interface?

Thanks!!!

I've never used EZ Drummer...can you solo each individual drum track? for example just the snare or just the hi-hat? if you can I would do it that way a bounce each track down one by one, then you have them as seperate audio tracks as can be used in any DAW, yes it's a ballache but it's worth the time it takes.

I've never used EZ Drummer...can you solo each individual drum track? for example just the snare or just the hi-hat? if you can I would do it that way a bounce each track down one by one, then you have them as seperate audio tracks as can be used in any DAW, yes it's a ballache but it's worth the time it takes.

You can, but it would indeed be a ballache to bounce each one down!

There must be a more straightforward way of doing it.

Welcome back to the site

First question, is EZ drummer a reasonably suitable candidate for recording with v-drums? Should I look at something else?

Yup, it's good for edrums. There are several people on this site using EZD for that purpose.

but hopefully we'll be giving the finished sessions as individual wavs to a proper engineer for mixing. The mixer in EZ drummer seems very limited to me (fine for demos), and ideally I'd like to have each component, kick snare etc get its own track.

Yeah, no problem with individual wave files. In EZD, select Multi-channel or whatever they call it. I like to set the pan to center for all mono tracks and set all the faders to zero. Then I use the mixer in Cubase.

Oh also, the v-drums only have midi out. Will a midi to usb cable suffice, or will we need an interface?

The USB connection should be fine. You might need a driver, but I think Windows and Mac already have a midi driver

I could have sworn I posted in this thread the other day...??? Anyway ....

I've used an older Yamaha DTXpress kit with EZDrummer for some years now, and also Superior Drummer, which has more advanced features & control. It works fine with my kit, should be fine for a Roland, or most any ekit. I haven't needed to send multiple .wav files, but feel a stereo mix within it's own mixer is enough control for me.

I always use standard midi for everything, as USB midi is always troublesome for me. I've heard those very cheap standard midi to USB midi adapters are especially problematic, so if you have to get a good one to try 1st.

I use 4 Yamaha trigger modules to accommodate my extended ekit's high number of pads (totaling about 40 separate trigger zones). This way I can 'play' all kit pieces (drums & cymbals) in the larger drum VSTi kits, such as Superiors Avatar. Originally I was running all 4 modules midi (standard) into my Motu 8X8 router, then standard midi into my sound cards midi in. Now that I figured out how to daisy-chain my modules properly, I do that, and only send a single midi from the last module into my 8X8 router, then it's midi into my sound card. My Motu router does have a USB to computer connection, but due to my experience with USB midi not working half the time for me, I use standard midi.
With using multiple modules, I assign note numbers in my modules as needed to match Toontracks midi note numbering, and I save it as one of my kit's (kit 49 in all 4 modules in my case. With such a high pad count, I end up using say for example, a cymbal pad plugged into a tom input etc, etc, in 3 of my modules. The 1st module is as expected for the most part..ue; snare pan connected to snare input etc, etc.

Back