cubase on linux

orgonaut

i want to get a computer for simple multitrack recording. i was told that when using linux i could do with a cheaper (=slower) computer. is there cubase for linuX? and does it work faster?

thanks. max

Pro audio support for Linux is very limited right now in comparison to Mac or Windows. It's probably a pretty good platform for audio, but it's not mature in that arena right now.

I'm getting accepable results with:

* PII 400
* 96M RAM
* Single 7200 RPM drive

I'd highly suggest getting a second, "audio only" HD if you can afford it and 128 or 256M RAM. I usually buy one or two steps down from the fastest processor speeds. The "top dog" always takes a HUGE price drop as soon as something faster comes along... and that doesn't take long with the technology. The computer is one of the few places where I can't justify buying as much as I can afford.

this is how i see it , and the direction i would go if i were you..

the pIII 733 is the best bang for the buck right now at $250.. coupled with the abit be6 motherboard ($130) , 128 megs of ram ($130) ,16 meg video card ($25) , 20 gig 7200 rpm hard drive ($160) , modem ($20) , 8x4x24 cd-rw ($200) , floppy drive ($10), case ($50), windows 2000 ($175?), and soundcard of your choice ($???) , you can have a very capable system..

total cost is $1150 not including soundcard.. by the way , ive included shipping in there..i would advise not buying a monitor online , being that shipping prices are so high.. keep an eye on the sunday newspaper for sales at compusa or circuit city.. you might be able to score a 17 inch monitor for $230 , or a 19 inch for $300..

- eddie -

Back