Is a Cubase license transferable?

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
Someone is selling Cubase with a dongle. I've not used "dongle-based" software before. If I buy this, would I be able to continue to upgrade as future editions come out?

yes. the dongle is the proof you bought it and it is the key that opens the program. you can download the program if you loose your DVD (I recommend using the downloaded DVD image because were having installing issues with the disk that comes in the box). if you buy other steinburg software like Wavelab or if you switch to the more advanced DAW Nuendo the software keys get stored on the same dongle.

extra dongles from buying more of the steinburg software can be used as backups for your dongle that is used in the computer.

when you go to register the software if the dongle is in someone else's account it will tell you. If that is the case, contact the seller and have him remove the dongle out from the seller's steinberg account. If the seller didn't register the software or removed it from the seller's steinburg account you will not receive an error and the dongle and it's data will be logged into your account.

Last edited:
I don't think that's 100% correct drtechno.

The USB dongle holds the e-licence, but is not the licence. You can buy Steinberg dongles for around $10/£10. But unless they have a licences loaded on to them, they will not allow you use the software.

The dongle is not "the proof you bought it and it is the key that opens the program".

I could sell you my copy of Cubase (just a DVD), and the dongle (with no licence on it). Cubase itself, you download that from their website, so the DVD is pretty worthless. And the dongle, as I said you can buy these empty without a licence on very cheaply.

All of the value is in the licence so make sure you are getting that included.

Back