Cubase LE on more than one computer?

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
ok so i have a firepod and i love it! but i would like to use it on more than one computer both in my studio and also on about three or four other computers.....
so is it legal for me to put Cubase on say 4 computers? i mean the software was given with the hardware.... and i do not remember seeing it any place that said "single user" am i right in that LE can be used on more than one computer?
i am having some problems with it on my mac and i want to check it out on a few others computers and see if i have the same problems.... ok let me know what you think of this ( i do not think that i need to buy a firepod for every computer that i have on this deal i mean... after all its not an OS......)

guitar junkie said:
ok so i have a firepod and i love it! but i would like to use it on more than one computer both in my studio and also on about three or four other computers.....
so is it legal for me to put Cubase on say 4 computers? i mean the software was given with the hardware.... and i do not remember seeing it any place that said "single user" am i right in that LE can be used on more than one computer?
i am having some problems with it on my mac and i want to check it out on a few others computers and see if i have the same problems.... ok let me know what you think of this ( i do not think that i need to buy a firepod for every computer that i have on this deal i mean... after all its not an OS......)

I don't know about the LE version that comes with the firepod, but the Cubase SE EULA specifically states that it is for use on a single computer. I am not saying you cannot do it, however, legally, you should not.

Yeah, Scrubs is right. Steinberg state you can only use it on one computer at a time. If your wanting to keep things legal, you can always uninstall it on your mac, install it on the Pc, test it, uninstall it, then re install it on the mac. Its the long way round things, and personally, i wouldnt do that, but like i said, if you want to keep it legal, thats the way you would do it. Im sure they wouldnt mind you just installing it on another machine to test your firepod..

I would say if you bought the Firepod and it came with LE that means you own it. If you have more than one computer you should be OK. The problem starts when you give the disk to your friends so they can copy it.

EdWonbass said:
I would say if you bought the Firepod and it came with LE that means you own it. If you have more than one computer you should be OK. The problem starts when you give the disk to your friends so they can copy it.

While I don't completely disagree with you, when you installed the software, you clicked that you "agreed" with the terms of the license agreement for the software, which states that it is a single license and is for use on only one machine at a time. Installation on multiple machines is a violation of the EULA and copyright.

Tifstorey said:
Yeah, Scrubs is right. Steinberg state you can only use it on one computer at a time. If your wanting to keep things legal, you can always uninstall it on your mac, install it on the Pc, test it, uninstall it, then re install it on the mac. Its the long way round things, and personally, i wouldnt do that, but like i said, if you want to keep it legal, thats the way you would do it. Im sure they wouldnt mind you just installing it on another machine to test your firepod..

at the end you will only have it on on pc anyway

scrubs said:
While I don't completely disagree with you, when you installed the software, you clicked that you "agreed" with the terms of the license agreement for the software, which states that it is a single license and is for use on only one machine at a time. Installation on multiple machines is a violation of the EULA and copyright.

Good call. I totally agree.
I guess I should start reading those things. :D

EdWonbass said:
Good call. I totally agree.
I guess I should start reading those things. :D

Not always.

In some countries (all countries in the EU and especially the UK) the EULA violates local consumer law and is thus invalid.

From Wikipedia:
...case law supports the position that there is "no difference between a license and sale of protected materials.." and that "to call a sale a license is mere play on words" (Bauer & Cie. v. O'Donnell and Bobbs-Merrill Co v. Straus) thus bringing the enforceability of the EULA and the practice of licensing copyrighted materials for end-use into question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_copyright

funky is all i can say about this.... i mean drivers are hardware too! am i only going to be able to put firepod drivers on one computer at a time? i mean they gave me this software to bundle with the hardware.... so in a sense then it is just hardware and softwared... Mackie Tracktion said you can put it on two computers with their deal....

scrubs said:

"...is for use on only one machine at a time..."

This is the key to it. As your firepod unit is a portable device, you can only use it on one machine at a time.

I see no issues with installing LE on several machines as long as it's only used with the firepod - which can only be used on one machine at a time

vigormusic said:
What problems were you having with it on your mac?

lots of popping and clicking no matter what i do with the settings
its fine on the first play through but as i play back the track more and more times it starts adding pops and clicks.... no effects no EQ its just trashed a demo for me :mad: and half of my CD was being tracked too and still it did that. even after i played with the bit depth it does it on 16 4100 and also on the 24 9600 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i am just not that happy with the program its very limited and rather hard to use. thinking about Tracktion 2 :rolleyes:

I installed Cubase LE 5 on my main machine last night, it came bundled with an Alesis io2 Express USB recording interface.
I also want to use the said kit/software, on my laptop.
Today, I will attempt to install the Cubase etc, on my laptop, and will report my results on here.

Back