Cubase LE limitations

cusebassman

Freakin' sweet
Hello all - I searched for info on this first, but the search feature omits "LE", so the results were a little scattered.

I've been recording live to DAT with an analog desk for some time, but I'd like to get involved in digital recording for home studio stuff.

Right now I am planning on using my powerBook G4 (1.5Ghz 17" 1 GB RAM, 80 gig HD, 400GB external), and am considering the Firepod for a decent starter interface.

I have just a few minor questions regarding Cubase LE - it is what comes bundled with the Firepod and I haven't used any decent multitrack software before... does the LE version allow 8 simultaneous channels to record? I seem to recall a while ago I tried Cool Edit Lite and it limited recording to 4 tracks, and you couldn't do things like export your final mix.

I just want to make sure I will be able to actually get started with this version of the software if I buy the Firepod. I know there are free (or very cheap) software alternatives for getting started, such as Reaper, but even that only has a beta-released version for Mac, so I figure I might as well just start getting to know one of the bigger programs, in this case I suppose that software being Cubase :)

Based on this pdf from another thread regarding Cubase limitations:

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cub...Comparison.pdf

It says that the "Physical Inputs/Outputs" of Cubase LE is 4. So that is the max one can record from different interface channels at once?

I suppose for the time being that would be fine, since I am just a singer/songwriter, and I rarely use more than a couple inputs at a time... I've only ever used more during live recording, when i was using the full 16 tracks at my disposal.

I could deal with the 4 sim. inputs until I can afford to upgrade to, say, Cubase SL/SX. For now I should probably just learn how to use the software :D

You found the exact chart you need to answer all your questions. You can always use LE until you feel the limitations then upgrade. Once you learn it, the Studio and full Cubase4 are nearly identical.

It really depends on which version of Cubase LE you have. I have v1.07 which has no limits on inputs. I think version 1.08 limits to 4 inputs but can be upgraded to version 1.10 which gives you 8 inputs.

The older Fireboxes and Firepods shipped with 1.07 but I think they changed to 1.08. I think you can upgrade version 08 from somewhere on Steinbergs site.

( or you could go download Reaper www.reaper.fm that has unlimited audio and midi tracks and works for FREE forever until you get guilty enough to pay the $40 shareware fee. It has much more capability than LE... I switched over to it from CubaseSE.)

( or you could go download Reaper www.reaper.fm that has unlimited audio and midi tracks and works for FREE forever until you get guilty enough to pay the $40 shareware fee. It has much more capability than LE... I switched over to it from CubaseSE.)

I guess for what I do Cubase LE is far more functional. I guess I'm just more used to the workflow in Cubase. I have Reaper on my machine and I mess with it sometimes but I just can't get with it. It either gets in my way or maybe I get in it's way.:confused:
I'm about to pull the trigger on Cubase Studio4.

Your using a mac right?
use garageband untill you get some decent software provided mixing in 16bit is good for you. It will allow more than four tracks at a time anyway!

not the best piece of software ever but its good considering its free and should do till you get some cash together for PT, Logic or whatever

Yea, I'll mess with Cubase LE, but I'm also definitely going to try out the Mac version of Reaper. As its in its 0.x.x stage still, I question how well its going to work, but I suppose we'll see.

Yea, I'll mess with Cubase LE, but I'm also definitely going to try out the Mac version of Reaper. As its in its 0.x.x stage still, I question how well its going to work, but I suppose we'll see.

It can't hurt to start playing around with Reaper now. When it gets working right with Mac then you will be up to speed if you decide to to go with it.

Just tried out the latest Reaper for Mac last night. Records fine, but 1) the interface is essentially non-existant, and 2) half of the features don't work.

- I can apply certain effects to a very basic vocal track, but others simply don't work, and they all seem to then playback very choppy, which I will get to in a minute.
- It would appear that exporting tracks simply doesn't work yet. This is just one of the few things I tried, and the one that stands out in my mind as not-yet functional.

As for the pops and clicks, I don't know if its my laptop or what. Audio plays back fine with no filters enabled, but sounds almost distorted when I enable anything like an echo, etc. I have a powerBook G4 17" 1.5Ghz, with 1GB of RAM. I didn't shut down every other program I had running, so either it was a lack of available memory or the 0.x.x version of Reaper just isn't ready yet :D

The version of LE that came with my Firestudio has 8 inputs, but I believe the one that came with the Firepod only has 4.

I'd wait for Reaper/mac to get up to speed rather than spend money on cubase. I used Nuendo for years and out of curiosity downloaded reaper and just can't bring myself to open nuendo again. Then again, I don't use as much midi as some folks and when I do I use it in less conventional ways often. cubendo probably has the edge over Reaper in that dept (midi) -- right now. but for everything else reaper pretty much kicks its ass every which way to sunday ;)

Well, I think for the time being I'll stick with LE, and learn how to use it before spending money I may very well not need to. I'll be perfectly fine with the track amount while I learn the system, so let's hope Reaper for Mac reaches a full version in the near future :)

I'd wait for Reaper/mac to get up to speed rather than spend money on cubase. I used Nuendo for years and out of curiosity downloaded reaper and just can't bring myself to open nuendo again. Then again, I don't use as much midi as some folks and when I do I use it in less conventional ways often. cubendo probably has the edge over Reaper in that dept (midi) -- right now. but for everything else reaper pretty much kicks its ass every which way to sunday ;)

Reaper better than Nuendo? boy you got jokes :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Reaper better than Nuendo? boy you got jokes :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I thought that too before I used Reaper. The routing matrix alone makes Nuendo look hobbled. Try sidechaining; try getting a bug fix; try opening a large project in under 60 seconds; try putting Bloatendo on a flash drive; oh, where or where is my dongle? No more memory leaks; no crashes (ever); it's now skinable and looks fantastic. And all those terrible pop down automation lanes are gone. Reaper is just about twice as fast as cubendo in everything. If you're a midi person then wait or skip but if you're doing audio/tracking live instruments then do yourself a favor and give reaper a spin and take a bit of time to learn it. It's not perfect but it is moving in that direction.
:p

I thought that too before I used Reaper. The routing matrix alone makes Nuendo look hobbled. Try sidechaining; try getting a bug fix; try opening a large project in under 60 seconds; try putting Bloatendo on a flash drive; oh, where or where is my dongle? No more memory leaks; no crashes (ever); it's now skinable and looks fantastic. And all those terrible pop down automation lanes are gone. Reaper is just about twice as fast as cubendo in everything. If you're a midi person then wait or skip but if you're doing audio/tracking live instruments then do yourself a favor and give reaper a spin and take a bit of time to learn it. It's not perfect but it is moving in that direction.
:p

You do have some valid points and I have Reaper on my PC as we speak, used it quite a few times and I agree it's a good programs that needs to grow up a bit, as for twice as fast I dont know, I have a 5:00 minute project with 30 tracks plus all the plugs and automation and I just opened it in less than 25 seconds. Dont get me wrong Im not trashing the program cause it IS a good software solution :p :D

Back