Cubase 5, Waveform more in the negative

neoblasted

Hi, I have a new TASCAM 16X08 audio interface, and I did some test with it with a Mic. In cubase 5, i added a Mono track, and when I record in cubase I noticed that the waveform is a little bit more in the negative.
Is there something wrong, or this is normal ?. Also i set the gain on the audio interface (physical gain knob of the channel) I set it until it clip, and then in cubase, the wave form is really tiny, and the DB value shown in cubase is not the same as shown in the DSP mixer of the interface its Like the signal from the audio interface is not strong enough to the PC (USB2)

I did those tests with 44100 HZ and 24 bit.

Can someone help me please ?

The waveform in Cubase or any DAW is just a visual representation of the audio. It is not showing input level.

On the right side of your project window there is a slider you can move to make the waveform more visible in scale. It does not affect actual audio levels.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

thanks, yes now with the slider I can see more the wave form. Thanks, I will still need to read why some sounds tend to have a wave form more in the negative than in the positive...

If you mean the waveform envelope in the time line is not symmetrical around zero welcome to the real world. This is normal for a microphone signal.

Back